Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fuel Injector failure? Need help.

Yesterday I started my '03 4 TEC to get it ready for spring/summer. Ran perfect for about 2-3 minutes and then stalled. I then had a problem getting it restarted. The battery appeared to be dead (on trickle all winter) so I used my portable jump starter. Cranked it few times and finally fired up.

Problem: Only 2 cylinders are firing.

What I have done to troubleshoot: When running (very rough), disconnect/reconnect coil pack to cyl. #3 - no change. Disconnect/reconnect coil pack to cyl. #2 - runs worse - basically 1 cylinder firing. Disconnect/reconnect coil pack to cyl. #1, same as cyl. #2. runs worse. Cranked engine with coil pack removed on cyl. #3 - spark verified. Spark plug from cyl #3 - dry, no smell of fuel. Placed brand new spark plug in Cyl. #3 and ran it. Spark plug comes out clean, dry, no smell of fuel.

My thought initial thought was that the fuel injector failed. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help or insight.

Cory (newbie)

+1
    Put a new battery in and go from there. Voltage and amperage can make computer controlled engines do the oddest things. A complete injector failure is rare. Usually they squirt or drip

+1
    After i sunk my ski i had this problem for a few rides after with residual water from who knows where getting on the plug causing that cylinder to not fire.

Thanks for the battery tip. I will start there.

+1
    If you still have the issue, just swap Injecters and see if it changes from one cylinder to the other. I have had injecters fail and it is after a long winter. two were locked shut. So it missed on that cylinder.

How do you de-pressurize the fuel system to swap injectors? Is it as simple as letting the pressure off via the inline schrader valve? And I assume the system will pressureize once you turn it on crank it a couple times?

+1
    pull the injector with rags around it. It's only a few psi in the rail without the pump on

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    pull the injector with rags around it. It's only a few psi in the rail without the pump on
    Exactly! Very Simple.

Excellent - thanks gentlemen. Just bought a battery. I will get it in this afternoon and go from there. Thanks again.

The latest: Honestly, I think I may have been chasing a ghost. The rough idle may be just how it operates and I have imagined a change. Every test I ran, I couldn't find anything wrong. I did replace the battery without any change. I pulled the fuel rail and had a rectangular plastic bin that I placed the rail/injectors in and cranked it - all of them spray fuel uniformly. To me that rules out an injector problem. I swapped coil packs with no change and I even used a coil pack from Yamaha VX110 with no change. I do have spark at all 3 cylinders. There is no check engine message and no other codes that I can find.

I still find it odd that I can disconnect the #3 coil pack when its idling and it not change how it runs at idle. I did not hit the throttle. I only let it idle. However, if I disconnect #3 and #2 the check engine message displays and it will hardly run, as I would expect. But withouth the #3 there is no check engine message. Or it could be that I didn't let it run long enough to detect it. But, within 15 seconds of 2 coil packs disconnected, the check engine light is displayed. Basically a hack test, but that's what I've got at the the moment.

Is it possible that at idle the computer shuts off the #3 cylinder b/c it's not needed? I suppose this would make sense to keep temps down, but I would think it wouldn't happen until certain other conditions are met. Oh well - I won't mess with it anymore until I get it in the water and test it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information