Break In New 2002 TXI Piston?

I will have completed my current project of boring only one cylinder and replacing a piston on my 2002 TXI and was wondering how to break in the new piston and rings as I only changed one piston? Do I need to add extra oil to the fuel in the tank? I have heard different opinions about this on this particular ski. What else do I need to do? Thanks...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Ficht fuel injected engines cannot have oil added to the fuel tank.

Break in the single new piston and rings just as you would an entire engine rebuild. Heat and load cycle the engine in incrementing levels of intensity with intervening cool down periods. Vary the throttle frequently during each cycle.

Did you identify a cause for the original failure? Has that cause been corrected?

Do ensure the oil injection system is 100% functional, especially for the cylinder in question.

Thanks for the response. Yes the original problem was the fuel pump would barely put out any pressure at ll. The regulator was still attached.The original owner said he kept trying to ride the ski after the pump quit working. I am assuming that the PTO cylinder was starved for fuel as it was the last in line to recieve fuel. The pump would keep fuel to the injectors but very low pressure. I have replaced the pump and took out the regulator and added the Kawsaki inline regulator. Fuel pressure is now 24psi.The other pistons looked fine and had good compression. Whats the reason for not adding oil to the fuel for a break in period? Agin thanks for the help...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjd View Post
    ... Whats the reason for not adding oil to the fuel for a break in period? ...
    On a carburetor engine the fuel goes though the crankcase on its way to the combustion chamber. If there is oil mixed into the fuel then the oil also goes through the crankcase, where it lubricates the crank bearings and piston bearings, along with the cylinder walls.

On a Ficht engine the fuel is directly injected into the top of the combustion chamber, aimed right at the spark plug tip. The injected fuel never goes near the crank case. The fuel injectors are designed to inject gasoline, not oil. If you add oil to the fuel tank of a Ficht engine, the oil provides no benefits to the engine bottom end and is being forced through an injector that was not intended to have oil.

Thread Information