Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Vxr power loss/cavitation?

Well I was on a trip going through the lake/river and was doing about 60 and the ski all of a sudden lost power. I could pull the throttle and hit about 4 grand and only do about 5 MPH in slow mode. If I pulled the throttle full it would then plane and only hit about 20 MPH at 6 grand. Well I had to stop to get gas so I let it rest for a few as i thought it was too hot as it was running for about 4 hours or so. Well when I was stopped I pulled the plugs to the coils and fuel injectors and re seated the connections. It seemed like it got a little better after I took off to the ramp. This time I could do around 30 at 6 grand on slow mode. Well about the last 1/4 mile from the launch I hit a bigger wave and the ski all of a sudden just restored it's power. I don't know why but it was fine. I took it out the next day to test and it felt fine in slow mode and normal mode. When all this was happening there was many vibrations coming from the entire ski. Can anybody tell me what might be Going on. I checked everything by looking and grabbing the parts and feeling for some broken parts.

+1
    Did you check to see if there was some weeds or debris in the grate/pump when you stopped? If not and there was it probably got dislodged by that wave.

3. +1 by:

+1
    intake grate was fouled, doesnt take much to foul it at all, also a small bag around the pumpshaft and impeller would do the same thing

5. +1 by:

+1
    Well I checked as good as I could but I didn't see or feel anything. I was told it could be the wear ring. I checked that as well. I can't find anything wrong with anything. I couldn't feel anything in the grate or the pump cone area. I had my hands in there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    Well I checked as good as I could but I didn't see or feel anything. I was told it could be the wear ring. I checked that as well. I can't find anything wrong with anything. I couldn't feel anything in the grate or the pump cone area. I had my hands in there.
    did you actually get under the ski and look at the prop?

+1
    if it cleared up, its not the wear ring, you fouled the impeller, could have been a plastic bag from walmart or anything the impeded the flow or water, the smallest of crap in the grate will cause you problems, been there done that

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramabeats View Post
    did you actually get under the ski and look at the prop?
    I could not see in the water but I felt around. And when I pulled it out of the water on the trailer I did check it and didn't see anything. Just a few new scratches on the wear ring and impeller.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    if it cleared up, its not the wear ring, you fouled the impeller, could have been a plastic bag from walmart or anything the impeded the flow or water, the smallest of crap in the grate will cause you problems, been there done that
    Does this cause any long term problems?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Does this cause any long term problems?
    no, it happens all the time where we ride, you can feel it pretty much right away, as you lose thrust, so its dive in and clear the intake grate, or beach it and roll it up on its left side to clear it, better have some help if you plan on rolling it over on its side tho

+1
    Yea I had the same problem, sucked something up. It was a little shell stuck in the intake grate. Vibrated like crazy. After clearing all was perfect. No long term issues at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information