New to Jet Skis, looking to buy my first one.

Hello all, looking at buying an older model Sea Doo or Yamaha as my first ski. I only have 2,000 cash right now that I'm willing to spend on one. Looking at the 1997+ XPs, GTXs, and Yamaha GP760/800s(I'm also talking to a guy with a 97 Kawa 750, but I don't know the exact model http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/3802223710.html). First of all, I want a trailer included with my purchase, and I know 2k isn't much, do you think I should wait and save up more and spend around 3/4k? Is it going to be worth buying a $2k ski or is it going to be more trouble than anything else? What's the hassle associated with a 2-stroke ski(other than mixing oil, I prefer 2-stroke lawn equipment but this is a whole new world for me). I want decent performance, around 55+. I am mechanically inclined and have the space to do work myself. I like to tinker, and want to add mods. Which ski would you recommend or steer clear of? I found an '02 RX DI for a great price, but I read a lot of negative reviews about them(I'm an Aviation Electrician in the military and I'm comfortable with electrical work).

+1
    I would say wait and save up a couple more grand...but that's just me.

+1
    If it the compression tests good, and runs good in a lake, sounds like a good buy for a first time owner to learn about them.

+1
    Are you planning on mostly riding by yourself or do you plan on having passengers? Do you plan on towing? That would help you narrow it down a little further. Be prepared to learn a lot on any ski in that price range because they all tended to have some type of problem if not maintained correctly. If I was looking in that price range, I would look for a 98+ Seadoo XP. They are a blast to ride, pretty fast for the price range, and you will not outgrow it like you may with some other skis in this price range. The downside is that it is pretty unstable with more than 1 person on it and many used XP's have been flipped and not taken care of correctly so they may be hiding bigger problems. If you get one, make sure you change out the fuel lines and test the compression. Compression should be between 130 and 150 with very little to no difference between both cylinders. Good luck!

+1
    I would look at the Yamaha GP800R.. Won't be super fast, but would be a nice reliable ski for around 2K. If you wanted to save up you could get a GTX 185 SC or RXP 215 SC.

+1
    In that 2-3k range, I would get a GP1300r. Reason is fuel injection and rather dependable. Maybe a 2003. Or you can save a few more bucks and get an early 4 stroke like a 03 Seadoo Gtx or its Yamaha counterpart. Reason I say Seadoo is they can be found cheaper here than Yamaha. Saw a 2002 Seadoo GTX 4 stroke for 2.7 with less than 49 hours. I would say no supercharger. Whatever you get, don't settle for an older ski with carbs.

+1
    Working on Carbs sucks.
    With the fuel that's were using now with all the additional corn plays hell on Carbs making them fail a lot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    I would look at the Yamaha GP800R.. Won't be super fast, but would be a nice reliable ski for around 2K. If you wanted to save up you could get a GTX 185 SC or RXP 215 SC.
    The 800r is faster than most people would think my buddy I ride with has a stock one and its not slow by any means.

Thread Information