Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Non-Ethanol vs Ethanol

I've been using non-ethanol fuel in my 2003 Yamaha SUV (premix) for about a year now. With the difference in price I was thinking about going back to the regular ethanol fuel. I don't use my ski as much as I should. That's why I've been using non-ethanol as I understand it doesn't "break down" as quick. I know there are additives for regular fuel but do they really work? Just wondering what everyone else is using.

+1
    I've used 10% in everything I own...several 2 strokes, stored over winters or more. Never had a problem.

3. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    If running non ethanol is an option, definitely stick with it. Ethanol is bad news especially in a carbed 2 stroke. I drive 30-35 miles one way just to get ethanol free gas for my skis (2 strokes)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    If running non ethanol is an option, definitely stick with it. Ethanol is bad news especially in a carbed 2 stroke. I drive 30-35 miles one way just to get ethanol free gas for my skis (2 strokes)
    Wow, I'm impressed. I don't think I would drive an extra 5 miles to get Ethanol free gas... I agree, it is definitely bad news, but I've never had an issue with it. If I could easily get it, I'd probably stick it in when I winterize it, but as fast as we go through gas in these ski's, I'm guessing the impact is minimal.

+1
    I use ethanol fuel in everything i own that uses gas. back when we only had regular gas (pure Gas) people were constantly buying additives and alcohol to put in their gas tanks trying to get rid of the moisture. now that we have ethanol in the gas the problem isn't as bad. now they are buying additives to make get gas last through the winter seasons. Doesn't seem like there is a happy medium so if you are going through a lot of fuel ethanol fuel isn't too bad but if it is going to sit for a long time then go pure gas. but i use ethanol fuel a lot and have not had any issues with it. its what i always run in my carbed triple piper along with 110 racing fuel 2 years so far and no issues.

Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1
    We use Startron in our gas when we pack them up for the winter and also during the heat of the summer. Plus, we keep the tanks full. 2 stroke, 4 stroke, never had any issues in 16 years.

+1
    I've used both but I try to stick to non-ethanol gas in my 2 stroke ski. If I put 10% ethanol gas in my ski, I try to use it up quicker. I store my ski (lawn mower, snowblower, weedwacker, chain saw, etc) with an empty tank during the off season.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    using ethanol laced fuel will cost you more in the long run.

Easy for me to say since we have multiple ethanol free fuel sites I town.

When you look at my wife's caddy on a road trip..I see at least 10% better mpg..so if you're not paying more then a 10% difference ( total costs) for ethanol free fuel, you are better off using it.

less ethanol=more power in the fuel

ethanol fuel in town yesterday was @ 3.63 gal. At the lake ethanol free was $3.59..so here it's a no brainer.

your market will certainly vary.

When I go to sams club for the monthly supply run, gas there is .30 cheaper then anywhere..but I don't take a full load..just enough to get home, where I top the tank with ethanol free ( we only use the caddy for road trips so it can sit for a few weeks at a time without even being started)

+1
    There is another good thing about ethanol fuel for me and some others. It keeps my place full of carb rebuilds. I guess these gas company's sell so much gas that they don't make it to last LOL.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Been using ethanol fuel for three years now in all my skis, but always use the blue marine StaBil with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information