+1

1998 XPL Rave questions

so i have this used 98 XPL, love it. it runs around 6000-6500 RPMS, and 45 MPH, 48-50 in really really good conditions, well i hear its supposed to hit around 60mph, so im here. well, i rebuilt my carbs and its wonderful, but in the process i found a line laying in the bottom of the hull, well the plastic nipple on the RAVE solenoid had no hose on it and was spraying black oily stuff on the inside of my hull, not much just a little but enough to notice. well the pulse nipple on my crankcase had no hose on it! and, from reading posts on here about people with RPM issue i know they are always told to check this hose for splitting, well ill be damned if the hose i found in the bottom of my hull wasnt split on one end. so my question is, would this cause my lack of speed? and do i just reconnect a hose from that pulse nipple to the front of the RAVE solenoid? quick replies are very much appreciated!

this concerns me because the previous owner had this ski set up very differently from the books say its supposed to be. he correctly installed the oil pump removal kit so i run premix, which in my opinion is a bonus. but he removed the water regulator from the cooling system, so instead of a line running from the Tvalve on the intake to the regulator it runs directly into my exhaust, but the engine doesnt over heat and my pisser looks/feels very healthy so im guessing this is ok? anyways sorry for the long post but i know many of you here are experts and have already done a tremendous job of helping me. im still learning about these awesome machines.

+1
    Before connecting the hose back remove the rave valves and inspect if you don't see a hole drilled direct to the exhaust. This is done so the valves open not needing the solenoid. This suggestion comes since you explain that you had a different routing on the cooling system. Not sure if the older 951(947) models came that way. But I have seen it done to many 951 engines as this comes from factory on the 787 carbed engines You can do a compression test to se the health of the engine and maybe there is the lost on RPM also.

Pretty sure others will chime in and give us more light on the matter

Hope this helps

+1
    figured i would reply, i reconnected the hoses for S&G and im turning aout 250rpms faster, went from 45-50 mph. pick up is slightly better, i know my engine compression is low around 100PSI both are at the exact same pressure, honing and reringing are in the near future as my bores and pistons are spotless its just seen a lot of use. since im turning around 6750-6800 rpms i think my 10MPH loss is a cavitation issue, if i whip a 180 my ski has a tough time lifting the nose out of the "hole" it creates, you will know what im talking about if you have done a good 180. i reached into the intake and there was a ton of twine-like grass wrapped tightly around my driveshaft. basically the entire shaft from the back of the hull to the prop had a 1inch grass jacket covering it. it took around 30-45 minutes to remove it all, i bet thats my speed loss. have yet to run it since i ceaned it.

I bet your compression gauge is reading low. Your rpms are good, so you have a cavitation problem. I bet you will find it running better now that you cleaned off the driveshaft

+1
    ok, ran it after i cleaned the driveshaft i gain a few MPH's. im running around 53 in chop and 55 on glass. but it gets to 50 MPH Very Very fast. loads of torque, im questioning whether or not the previous owner installed an aftermarket prop or grate?

Thread Information