Help with 2004 R-12 reverse cable nut???

Hi guys I am down in Florida on vacation and just broke the cheap plastic nut that holds the reverse cable in place by the bucket. I just ordered new nuts for the reverse and steering from this place http://www.torxracing.com/ They will over night them to me. My question is do I have to pull the pump off to do this or is there an easier way? I do not have many tools down here so I do not know if I do have to pull the pump or if there are gaskets that will also have to be replaced, I sure hope not. I am wondering if I can get the broken nut out, and put the new one in without pulling everything apart? Thanks for any advice. Mike

edit; I just pulled the whole pump, it was actually very easy. What I did not count on was another nut for the nozzle trim. torxracing.com only includes 2 of the aluminum nuts, one for steering, and one for reverse. the impeller and housing look to be in really good shape yet.
    Last edited by mikel1; 05-22-2013 at 05:11 PM.

+1
    Yes have to tell them on R12 you have the trim throttle cable too so you need three of them. Get them out while you can otherwise they will become brittle and you will be picking them out so you don't mess up the threads. Can cause a ski to fill with water if you don't take care of this. I had to pull the pump but makes it much easier to get at and install ... good luck

+1
    See my previous post on this, Ive done 3 skis already.
    Post #38

+1
    So went at this project today, thought it would take an hour or so since the pump was already out for the new prop change.
    Well.... not so fast. Everyone of them snapped off! doh!
    So here's a little insight if you decide you want to upgrade these fittings to the aluminum.
    1st make sure to have a good pick set on hand, I have the snap on 4 pc set, see the photo.
    Be sure after you snap heads off and leave all the threaded portion in the housing, that you do the following
    Pull the cable toward you and remove the split bushing that holds the cable and pull back the rubber seal around the cable.
    You can then split the bushing with a screw driver, thanks Eric for the tip. I did that with one, and then ended up using my
    dremel to split the other two.
    This is where the pick tools made all the difference. used these to dig out the rest and clean up the threads.
    3 hours later I was done, this was a pain in the ass!
    Since these are aluminum, I put a little ant seize on each in case they have to come back out.
    Hope this helps someone if you try to tackle this yourself.

Some photos to go along withClick image for larger version. Name: splittin bushings.jpg Views: 21 Size: 47.9 KB ID: 231003Click image for larger version. Name: pick set.jpg Views: 18 Size: 77.2 KB ID: 231004Click image for larger version. Name: cable split bushing.jpg Views: 17 Size: 60.0 KB ID: 231007Click image for larger version. Name: bushing in pieces.jpg Views: 20 Size: 73.8 KB ID: 231008

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. Name: SANY0567.jpg Views: 17 Size: 63.4 KB ID: 231001 Click image for larger version. Name: SANY0571.jpg Views: 16 Size: 60.7 KB ID: 231002 Click image for larger version. Name: SANY0574.jpg Views: 20 Size: 43.1 KB ID: 231005 Click image for larger version. Name: SANY0568.jpg Views: 20 Size: 58.5 KB ID: 231006
    Last edited by schredder; 05-26-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: picture add

Thanks guys, I got 2 of the new ones in, and yes the broken one was a bitch.

Thread Information