Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2003 Yamaha XLT 1200 body repair

How is it going? I am new to Greenhulk and had couple of questions. I bought a 2003 Yamaha XLT 1200 for cheap but it wasnt taken care too well. It has bunch of scratches and nicks all on the top side. Deepest is about 3mm and its all from bouncing of a dock. I know that Yamahas bodies are SMC and I wanted to know whats the best way to repair these small dings. I have a West Systems fiberglass repair kit but not sure if its enough or do I need a GelCoat kit? Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Arslan

I'm slightly ahead of you on the same process, just applied the primer.
    After reading a lot of posts I returned the 3M fiberglass repair kit I had bought and got Marine Tex, it's easy to apply and very easy to sand.
    I understand that fiberglass and SMC don't go well together.
    Marine Tex is a no brainer, I highly recommend it.

+1
    Thanks for the reply JMAN. I read bunch of posts and all say the West System fiberglass repair kit is great to use. I have also heard the MarineTex is great as well, so i will check that out.

+1
    So luckily I was able to not have to use any fillers, just sanded down all the nicks with 80 grip sand paper and used a primer filler and was able to get it like original. Now I have read since Yamaha does not use a gelcoat on the waverunners that you just paint it like a car would be the way to paint the waverunner, is this true?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ArslanD View Post
    So luckily I was able to not have to use any fillers, just sanded down all the nicks with 80 grip sand paper and used a primer filler and was able to get it like original. Now I have read since Yamaha does not use a gelcoat on the waverunners that you just paint it like a car would be the way to paint the waverunner, is this true?
    Yup. Sherwin Williams sunfire paint. Color is called pure white. You can look the paint codes up under the fleet search of Sherwin Williams formula express tool.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
    Yup. Sherwin Williams sunfire paint. Color is called pure white. You can look the paint codes up under the fleet search of Sherwin Williams formula express tool.

Thanks for the reply. So then just get a clearcoat as well or does SW Sunfire contain it already?

+1

Thanks for the reply. So then just get a clearcoat as well or does SW Sunfire contain it already?
    Aw sunfire is a single stage urethane and doesn't require clear coat. You could always go to a local paint shop and get them to mix you a single stage paint up that matches too.

+1

Aw sunfire is a single stage urethane and doesn't require clear coat. You could always go to a local paint shop and get them to mix you a single stage paint up that matches too.

Thats good to know. Thanks. I will go with sunfire there is a SW down the street from me.

+1
    So Sherwin Williams does not make sunfire anymore discontinued 8 years ago but they have a newer better version of the same paint. Turned out great and dries supper fast. Thanks for the help all.

+1
    So Sherwin Williams does not make sunfire anymore discontinued 8 years ago but they have a newer better version of the same paint. Turned out great and dries supper fast. Thanks for the help all.
    Any idea what it's called now? Because I ended up using awlgrip color "off white revisited" and it was almost a perfect match, if you blend it right its perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information