Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Another Note On Exhaust Filter

So I just got the 300 back from dealer, valve clearances (no shims, was fine) and had exhaust filter replaced. I happened to look at the new echaust filter and couldn't help but notice a small hole or opening in the middle of the filter? The actual honeycomb part is different than the one I had replaced last year? For the guys that run no exhaust filter for racing, whats the advantage?

+1
    there is no proven advantage

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh300x View Post
    So I just got the 300 back from dealer, valve clearances (no shims, was fine) and had exhaust filter replaced. I happened to look at the new echaust filter and couldn't help but notice a small hole or opening in the middle of the filter? The actual honeycomb part is different than the one I had replaced last year? For the guys that run no exhaust filter for racing, whats the advantage?
    Biggest advantage is making the other skies in your group look better as u sit their cranking your ski while it splutters and coughs and farts as It fires up eventually. ..........
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 05-23-2013 at 04:38 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh300x View Post
    For the guys that run no exhaust filter for racing, whats the advantage?
    -----------------
    They assume there is less restriction. I guess possibly in comparison to removing a catalytic converter on your car?

What WAZ states previously is that those that remove their exhaust filter will be "cranking" on their starter motors trying to get their engines to fire-up - while yours which still retains the exhaust filter - should start "immediately".

I had this start splutter issue on my 250, obviously no exhaust filer.
    However I done find a good blip of the throttle on shut down resolves this issue

+1
    you do realize the head and manifold drained to the water box also so i dont really think that works, thats alot of water to push out on a blip.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    you do realize the head and manifold drained to the water box also so i dont really think that works, thats alot of water to push out on a blip.
    It works for me, and as you say I doubt it clears it out fully but it will reduce the amount of water left behind, others agree too

post# 6-9
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190981

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    I removed the filter in the bridge to bridge race, not for speed, but more for reliability, as my filter had 40 hours on it at the time. I left it out for two weekends, and every time I idled and stopped, it would miss and splutter on restart. Giving the throttle a couple of hard blips and immediately switching off does fix the issue, but it's a pain and you look like a tosser pulling up and revving it each time you stop.

Anyone that tells you the filter is not needed, or removing it doesn't cause issues, is full of BS. Thankfully one of those tools has a life ban so won't be handing out bad advice.

I'll have one of the 2013 filters in next week. It will be interesting to see how that goes. Will let you know.

Cheers, Mal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    I removed the filter in the bridge to bridge race, not for speed, but more for reliability, as my filter had 40 hours on it at the time. I left it out for two weekends, and every time I idled and stopped, it would miss and splutter on restart. Giving the throttle a couple of hard blips and immediately switching off does fix the issue, but it's a pain and you look like a tosser pulling up and revving it each time you stop.

Anyone that tells you the filter is not needed, or removing it doesn't cause issues, is full of BS. Thankfully one of those tools has a life ban so won't be handing out bad advice.

I'll have one of the 2013 filters in next week. It will be interesting to see how that goes. Will let you know.

Cheers, Mal.
    Based on the looks of my replacement filter I think the dealer put in a 2013 (new style has a small hole in the middle with a pin going thru it?). P/N 1604-0012..will be riding next week so will report if I notice any issues/ differences (although doubt it)

+1
    the 300 doesn't drain the block to the water box, just the manifold=less water.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwakmat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    It works for me, and as you say I doubt it clears it out fully but it will reduce the amount of water left behind, others agree too

post# 6-9
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190981

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information