About to sit my Polaris SLT 700 on fire or throw it off a cliff lol...need some help

I have rebuilt carbs, replaced fuel lines, checked the reeds, new plugs, and battery....When I pull the throttle it will fire in to the carbs no problem but when I go to hold the throttle it is not spraying like it should and causing basically a sputter and running sluggish. I can hit the throttle than release it and hit it again and it will spray fine....ANY IDEAS or HELP would be GREATLY appreciated

Banned User
    +1
    That spraying you are seeing is the accelerator pump, and it only sprays when you punch the throttle. If you just hold it open, fuel will NOT come out of those little nozzles.

When you rebuilt the carbs, did you check the regulator arm height? If thats not dead on, you will have running issues. Where are your low speed screws set?

What is the history of this machine? Which version of the ignition does it have? Have you checked compression? Low compression will make it run like crap. Are you running the correct spark plugs? Lots of things to check.

possibly could adjust the low speed screws, I need to find out just how much to let them out etc...Damn I love doing stuff myself but if I knew someone close who worked on these I would be paying them...I thought when the throttle was held wide open the spray would continue giving the engine the fuel needed to run at top speed...the compression is 125-120 so I know its not that...LOL damn Polaris and I have a love hate relationship right now

It just seems that when holding the throttle down the carbs run out of fuel or clog? make sense at all?

Banned User
    +1
    Can you get it to accelerate to full speed at all? By gradually opening the throttle?

well I have not taken it back to the lake yet but starting it up outside it still does not seem like its running clean like it should

but again I was under the assumption that the jets had to send the constant spray whne full throttle was opened instead of spraying than fizzling out etc
    \

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    You only get a very fine mist,so you may not see it. while it's idling, Cover the carb or one of them slightly with your hand and blip throttle. Does it sound better? If it does,try the other carb next. if better you have a air leak or running too lean.

Thread Information