Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Brewmaster Mike

Totally depressed!

Have 2011 FZS with only 40 hours on it, and I don't drive it very hard. Took it out for first run and had no supercharger whatsoever....it was a dog with top end at about 40mph. Took it right to the shop earlier this week, and found out today that the Supercharger which is gear driven has all the gear teeth sheared off. How does that happen???? Anyway, thank God I bought the Y.E.S. warranty......hopefully it's all covered and fixed soon. Water here (Lake Erie) is getting warm......don't want to lose too much time in our short summer season!!

+1
    It could be one of the early model 2011 clutches that were prone to exactly what you said if I'm not mistaken <-- someone correct me if I am wrong.

I just replaced my 08 clutch with a 2011 clutch that I purchased in Aug 2012. Hopefully I got a version that came after the recall or I will be doing exactly the same thing with no warranty..........

+1
    you are correct i bought one of those ear;y ones and sheared every tooth in under 2 hours.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapone View Post
    It could be one of the early model 2011 clutches that were prone to exactly what you said if I'm not mistaken <-- someone correct me if I am wrong.

I just replaced my 08 clutch with a 2011 clutch that I purchased in Aug 2012. Hopefully I got a version that came after the recall or I will be doing exactly the same thing with no warranty..........
    do not put it in, go with the 2013 clutch kit comes with both gears.

5. +1 by:

i replaced two 2011 clutches both times right before summer until i got the 2013 so far so good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Jim it's too late I've put it in already and I have about 1 hour on it so far. 45-60minutes light running and about 3-5 minutes WOT at the end. I haven't done any hole shots yet, just gradual WOT.
    I was informed by two very knowledgeable and respected members that I should be OK with the version I had as it should not have been an early model. I won't put their names as I discussed via PM. I was worried myself about the 2011 clutch but they said I should be good. Neither had anything to gain with me going with the 2011 over the 2013. THe biggest issue I had was that I had the 2011 since Aug last year and RIVA couldn't exchange as they were discontinued.

I'm hoping/praying for the best.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Jim it's too late I've put it in already and I have about 1 hour on it so far. 45-60minutes light running and about 3-5 minutes WOT at the end. I haven't done any hole shots yet, just gradual WOT.
    I was informed by two very knowledgeable and respected members that I should be OK with the version I had as it should not have been an early model. I won't put their names as I discussed via PM. I was worried myself about the 2011 clutch but they said I should be good. Neither had anything to gain with me going with the 2011 over the 2013. THe biggest issue I had was that I had the 2011 since Aug last year and RIVA couldn't exchange as they were discontinued.

I'm hoping/praying for the best.
    once you ride hard in the ocean that will tell all if it holds up or not. But at 8160 rpm you are not turning much rpm.

if you only had the clutch installed you still have a 2011.they still reffer to it as an upgrade clutch because its the 2nd upgrade.to convert to a 2013 clutch its a two piece gear set that you have to change out.

Brewmaster Mike
    Well, I guess it's a positive that this is a known problem. Should be covered under warranty for sure then....just hope they get it cleared by Yamaha and fixed quickly. Water temps are on the rise, and I don't want to lose much of the season waiting for the fix. Weather here is in the 40's this weekend, so the Holiday weekend would have been a bust anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mmayer View Post
    Well, I guess it's a positive that this is a known problem. Should be covered under warranty for sure then....just hope they get it cleared by Yamaha and fixed quickly. Water temps are on the rise, and I don't want to lose much of the season waiting for the fix. Weather here is in the 40's this weekend, so the Holiday weekend would have been a bust anyway.
    Just curious. What oil were using in the Ski? JB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information