Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    TheEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    934
    +1
    131

    Carbon Seal wear

    Doing an SC rebuild and I took a look at the carbon seal on my P-X. The hat is definitely sitting off center from the seal. I haven't seen water intrusion but I definitely cleaned a lot of carbon dust out from the inside of the hull. There's also that noticeable salt ring on top of the carbon seal. Is it normal for the hat to sit off center of the seal? Or is this wearing poorly and going to sink me before too long? There are currently 43 hours on the seal.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	2518 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	301806


  2. #2
    SplishSplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belle River Ont Canada
    Posts
    1,179
    +1
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Doing an SC rebuild and I took a look at the carbon seal on my P-X. The hat is definitely sitting off center from the seal. I haven't seen water intrusion but I definitely cleaned a lot of carbon dust out from the inside of the hull. There's also that noticeable salt ring on top of the carbon seal. Is it normal for the hat to sit off center of the seal? Or is this wearing poorly and going to sink me before too long? There are currently 43 hours on the seal.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	2518 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	301806
    Looks like alignment is way out! Something is out of whack there for sure. Wonder it lasted this long. I'm running an 04 and it does not look worn like that at all with way more hours, or out of alignment like that.

  3. #3
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Doing an SC rebuild and I took a look at the carbon seal on my P-X. The hat is definitely sitting off center from the seal. I haven't seen water intrusion but I definitely cleaned a lot of carbon dust out from the inside of the hull. There's also that noticeable salt ring on top of the carbon seal. Is it normal for the hat to sit off center of the seal? Or is this wearing poorly and going to sink me before too long? There are currently 43 hours on the seal.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	2518 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	301806
    No mods?

  4. #4
    TheEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    934
    +1
    131
    No mods. However, this is my rebuilt ski. The motor and pump were aligned perfectly when I put the ski together. Perhaps the motor has shifted a bit. Right now I'm wondering if it's safe to ride this weekend.

  5. #5
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...170389&page=33

    Go to page 33, that where the info you need starts

  6. #6
    Rt-HemiBoY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    HiAleAH-MiAMi--FL
    Posts
    1,315
    +1
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    No mods. However, this is my rebuilt ski. The motor and pump were aligned perfectly when I put the ski together. Perhaps the motor has shifted a bit. Right now I'm wondering if it's safe to ride this weekend.
    Whatz up kevin im in the same situation rite now on mines it was leaking some water in but i have shoreliner 1200 gpm and it was enough to keep water out for the weekend plus the oem siphon bilge is pretty good..

  7. #7
    TheEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    934
    +1
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...170389&page=33

    Go to page 33, that where the info you need starts
    Troy, do you still have access to that pump shoe alignment tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rt-HemiBoY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    No mods. However, this is my rebuilt ski. The motor and pump were aligned perfectly when I put the ski together. Perhaps the motor has shifted a bit. Right now I'm wondering if it's safe to ride this weekend.
    Whatz up kevin im in the same situation rite now on mines it was leaking some water in but i have shoreliner 1200 gpm and it was enough to keep water out for the weekend plus the oem siphon bilge is pretty good..
    Yeah, I'm hunting for a bilge pump right now...

  8. #8
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267
    WFO did the work. He used a regular SD motor alignment tool, that he modded to work on the new ski.
    Its probably your thru hull fitting that is out of alignment. My carbon seal was wearing off center like yours.

  9. #9
    tick.. tick.. RXPteamtimebomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    726
    +1
    13
    My new carbon seal setup sits like that and doesn't leak water, just had motor installed and aligned by Slow91.. It was like that before I took the ski to him and had 100+ hours on the seal setup he removed and never had a problem with that one either.. Your bellow may be worn out, under hard acceleration the pressure pulls the seal away and could leak some water

  10. #10
    wotxxxsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    3,928
    +1
    472
    Bilge pump is a good idea on any ski.
    If the carbon seal is worring you then change it.
    It really sucks to be ripping along and worring about it failing.

    No worries b happy now....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. RXPX260 Carbon Seal Wear?
    By Jackmcd in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 11:17 PM
  2. Normal carbon seal wear?
    By Allen8801 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-17-2014, 05:58 PM
  3. WTB - Parts RXP S/S wear ring-Bellows-carbon seal-S.F. bellows band needed
    By skigolfnut in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM
  4. Is my carbon seal toast?
    By Lurker in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 03:47 PM
  5. Problems with carbon seal leaking-- possibly this instead...
    By VFX_Artist in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-20-2006, 09:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •