+1

Can't start gp1200r and I'v tried everything. Input please.

Im going absolutely nuts over this one. I'v recently had the head off to check my piston wash mag and centre had black cooked oil on the top with no wash at all, PTO had no wash at all, but was clean, I suspect water intrusion. Due to the state of the 1 and 2 pistons I jetted up from 115/135 to 117.5/137.5 in the thinking they were lean. Anyway its all back together now, I'v primed the fuel lines, I'm getting an rpm indication on my tiny tach (so I presume there is a spark), I have been cranking the engine all day and it just won't light off. Just so you know its a gp1200r with ported 1300 cylinders.

I have swapped out my advent cdi for the stock one I have lying around, no different.

I have double checked my spark plug gaps, they are new plugs, no luck. I even tried them at .8mm just in case.

I have noticed my gauge won't stay on after hitting the ignition (usually it stays on for 30sec), but I get the 'start' indication flashing at me if I press the mode button. (I'm using an xlt1200 gauge was working previously) not sure if this has anything to do with it as I previously ran the ski with a dead gauge and it worked.

I'm starting to think the jets might be to big to start? and that the only reason my piston wash was indicating lean was due to the excess heat from running the stock sound suppression. I'm thinking of going down to 112.5 on the primary jets and leaving the 137.5 on the Mains. I would have thought it would at least start though?

I pre set the idle screw adjuster so there is a 1mm opening on the butterfly prior to installing them and set both high and lows to 1 turn out.

Any ideas?

+1
    You think you have spark but you may need to hook up a spark tester to check. So next, do you have fuel coming out of the carbs into the engine? If you can, spray a little gas down the carbs and see if it'll run for a few seconds. Next thing is compression...you had the head off, did you screw anything up when you put it back on? Check the compression with a gauge if you're not sure.

+1
    Alright couldn't find a spark plug tester but I put a spare plug in the lead and earthed it to the tip of the ones fitted, all good. Also tested to an earth all good, checked both the Cdi units and they are both working advent seems to fire notably better than stock. Wouldn't start but overnight the gauge has sprung to life the battery warning is now constant despite cranking over very well. Bat volts are at 12.3 it charges for ever and only makes 12.7 only to drain strait back to 12.3 after the first start attempt. Next step new battery.

Primary jets are back to 115, main 137.5.

+1
    Doesn't sound like the battery is in bad enough shape to cause your problems.
    The engine needs 3 things. Spark, fuel, and compression to run.

+1
    Yeh it sounds so simple in principal but its just not playing the game, I agree with the battery though. I've held off on this, I'm going to try turning the lows out, I'm now convinced this is my problem. They were 2 turns out, thinking about it they shouldn't change matter the jetting.

+1
    Okay so I finally got this pig started. I had to charge the battery overnight to get a decent rpm and crank over until it started, it revved strait to 5000rpm and blew a heap of smoke out the back so I shut it down. I wasn't sure if this was excess fuel that hadn't burnt off from all my previous start attempts so I tried it a few more times to no avail, it starts but continues to idle high. I'm almost 100% sure it has an air leak. I'm going to bite the bullet and do the rebuild now, it was due soon anyway and I don't plan on band-aid fixing it for something else to go wrong. I'll keep updates in my build thread once I get started.

Thread Information