Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Kawasaki jet pump howl at speed

Loud Pipes save lives.....

Not where I ride, loud can get you kicked off the lake, my Kawi makes a terrible howl coming across the lake, its not the engine, its pump related, but I cannot find it & I don't think its normal, it has gotten me the stink eye from people who live on the lake & someone bitched to the lake association about it too. I try to ride on larger lakes where is doesn't matter, you are far enough from shore, but my local (test) lake is only 200 acres & I try to keep the peace.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    ... my Kawi makes a terrible howl coming across the lake, its not the engine, its pump related, but I cannot find it & I don't think its normal...
    Jet pump howl

Possible ideas;
    Pump bearings noisy under heavy load
    Impeller trailing edges too close to stator vane leading edges
    Impeller blades uneven
    Impeller blades too close or not well aligned with wear ring
    Wear ring damaged, shifted, loose...
    Impeller not snug on drive shaft
    Driveshaft flex or wobble, through-hull bearing noise

+1
    Possible ideas;
    Impeller blades uneven
    I have given up on finding the issue, I spent over $1000 at the dealer to have a new driveshaft bearing installed (the engine had to be removed) they also checked the driveshaft for runout & it was fine, every part behind that has been replaced with new parts (pump, bearings, seals, impeller shaft, new solas "blueprinted" by Impros etc. The only strange thing about this noise is that it starts at about 35mph & it nearly dissapears when you start to turn in either direction at any speed. I solved the problem by wearing a pair of 49 cent earplugs when I ride.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    Possible ideas;
    Impeller blades uneven
    I have given up on finding the issue, I spent over $1000 at the dealer to have a new driveshaft bearing installed (the engine had to be removed) they also checked the driveshaft for runout & it was fine, every part behind that has been replaced with new parts (pump, bearings, seals, impeller shaft, new solas "blueprinted" by Impros etc. The only strange thing about this noise is that it starts at about 35mph & it nearly dissapears when you start to turn in either direction at any speed. I solved the problem by wearing a pair of 49 cent earplugs when I ride.
    Look at the steering nozzle and any other nozzle parts that can move. You might have a sympathetic vibration caused by the water flow through the nozzle causing it to oscillate.

I am thinking that if you removed the steering nozzle, trim nozzle, etc and took it out the noise would be gone. Of course you would not have any steering, but would be an interesting test.

If that is the problem cause, then you just need to figure out why it is vibrating. Loose nozzle bushings is one possibility. Or a misshapen nozzle or casting flaw that the water flow is tripping over.

+1
    Look at the steering nozzle and any other nozzle parts that can move. You might have a sympathetic vibration caused by the water flow through the nozzle causing it to oscillate.

I am thinking that if you removed the steering nozzle, trim nozzle, etc and took it out the noise would be gone. Of course you would not have any steering, but would be an interesting test.

If that is the problem cause, then you just need to figure out why it is vibrating. Loose nozzle bushings is one possibility. Or a misshapen nozzle or casting flaw that the water flow is tripping over.
    I have tried a different output nozzle & steering nozzle with tight bushings & have the same sound, the sound was loud enough that I spent the $1000 at the dealer to have the new driveshaft bearing installed as I was taking the ski with me to Florida last spring & didn't want it to fail while on vacation, the noise was reduced after they installed the new bearing, but still present, this year it is louder.

This ski has been making this noise for 52 hours of operation, if it was something critical it would have blown apart by now.

I'm wondering about cavatation noise, I can put a new pump in this ski & within 20 hours of use I get a small burn hole in the side of the pump always in the same spot & its right where a casting nub is on the outside, it literally burns a hole right through the stainless liner & then the alum pump itself. I tried 3 different impellers with the same result. I noticed this hole during routine checks, it doesn't slow the ski down at all.

I tried putting one of those sacrificial anodes from a Polaris on the pump & it made no difference. Also is there a way to move this thread to the Kawasaki section?

Thanks K447 for your ideas & help, greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by K447; 05-26-2013 at 10:31 PM.

+1
    Post up some photos of this hole that gets burned through the pump wall.

When you say you replaced the jet pump, are some parts being reused from the old pump(s) each time?

+1
    Easy fix.....Ride with someone else and blame them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Post up some photos of this hole that gets burned through the pump wall.

When you say you replaced the jet pump, are some parts being reused from the old pump(s) each time?
    I will try to get some photos this week. I replaced all the parts with the new pumps, the pump itself has the housing one bearing one spacer & 3 seals with a large snap ring to hold them in place, impeller shaft & impeller, the rear bearing is in a pump cone that mounts to the back of the pump with 3 bolts, I have replaced the bearing with each pump change, but reused the cone housing the bearing is mounted in. The pump cone fits very tight, the bearing in it is very snug, so nothing is moving out of place inside that part. I still wonder why the noise nearly goes away when making a turn, the only thing that changes when turning is more pressure inside the pump & on the steering nozzle.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    I have heard INTAKE grates make some weird noises when water grabs an unsealed edge

Waz

+1
    RLACEMAN- I am on a brand new '12 15F and the pump howl is very pronounced but stops in turns also. It might be the nature of the machine. I only have 3 hours on it so I haven't seen any pump damage yet. If it is normal Kawi didn't do their homework in the sound reduction department. All of the other brands dramatically reduced the noise of their machines back in the 90's.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information