2000 Virage 701 speedo prob

Have been to this site many times and found outstanding advise. This time however I was unable to find a fix after looking through hundreds of threads and knew it was time to join. Thank you in advance if anybody is able to enlighten me. On my 2000 Virage 701 (58 hours) I decided to finally fix my speedometer. It has never worked since I bought it in 2005. I found the pitot clear tubing had a large opening in the side of the line, giving the appearance it had rubbed against something. I bought new, same size, clear line. Prior to installing the line, I cut and hooked a short piece of the new line (about 2 foot) onto the barbed opening at the back of the MFI and blew into the tube. Speedo did not move. I woke up the MFI and put lanyard in place and tried again, still nothing. I have used mechanical pitots before and am somewhat versed in them. Is this the proper way to test this pitot/speedo? I read an article by K447 that led me to believe it may need electronics as well as tube pressure to make it work. Any thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Have you now installed the new speedometer hose and water tested it?

The engine may need to be running (Tachometer signal) for the speedometer to respond.

The air pressure required to show speed is significant. I am not sure what the lowest pressure might be to move the speedometer needle, but at speed the pitot pressure can be circa 30PSI.

2001 Polaris Virage speedo prob

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Have you now installed the new speedometer hose and water tested it?

The engine may need to be running (Tachometer signal) for the speedometer to respond.

The air pressure required to show speed is significant. I am not sure what the lowest pressure might be to move the speedometer needle, but at speed the pitot pressure can be circa 30PSI.
    K447,
    Thank you for your reply. I have installed the new hose but have yet to water test it. On the previous test I used a compressor with the regulator set to 30 psi and held it there for about 2 minutes. I am doing all the summer maintenance and don't want to fire it up till I am done. What do you think about me firing it up (15-20 secs) after I am done with yearly maintenance and re-trying compressor with short tube, again set to 30 psi?
    I feel like you are hitting on it. This ski has been very well maintained and it is hard to believe the speedo itself is out. Knowing how the speedo acts as it does when you wake up the MFI leads me to believe you are correct.

Thanks again for your reply

Thread Information