+1

Installed boost gauge

So since the weather was so crappy today, I ended up installing the Autometer 5401 liquid filled boost gauge. Decided to put it in the glove box so I didn't have a huge hole in the fairing. T'd off the map sensor because I shortsightedly only tapped the manifold once for the BOV. That was a chore, 3/16 plastic T, cut about 3/4 inch out of the map hose so the T would just fit between the 2 other end barbs. Then I ran the hose along the fuel rail and drilled a 11/32 hole in the top of the hull just to the right of the seat retainer clip, sealed the hose in that hole with black 4200 so no water will get through. I had to very slightly widen the drain hole in the bottom of the glove box to get the hose through that and then drilled a 11/32 hole in the center of the styrofoam right between the 2 cup holder circles. Fed it all through and I really only lose the ability to put a can in the cup holders which is dumb anyway on a ski slamming around on the water.

Here's a finished pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0655.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	301896

+1
    Note that if anyone buys one of these Autometer gauges, don't use the crap plastic vacuum line and compression fitting that comes with it, it's garbage and cracks easily (which it did when I was test fitting where I wanted the hose to run and bent it a bit too sharp). I picked up 3/16 vacuum hose at the auto parts store where I bought the 1/8 NPT female-3/16 barbed adapter for the gauge and the plastic T for the map line.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I was going to use the copper line for mine......but I went digital.......Good install tho

+1
    Just so you know, McMaster-Carr has a 1/8 npt brass hose barb fitting that has 2 1/8 hose barbs on it, that way you can do your BOV and boost gauge on the same line. I am hesitant to tee into the map sensor line because you can effect its readings to the ECU. Especially if you develop a small leak in the line.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    I was going to use the copper line for mine......but I went digital.......Good install tho
    Thanks, I thought about a digital one but I really like the look of the autometer with the FZ's chrome bezeled mechanical gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    Just so you know, McMaster-Carr has a 1/8 npt brass hose barb fitting that has 2 1/8 hose barbs on it, that way you can do your BOV and boost gauge on the same line. I am hesitant to tee into the map sensor line because you can effect its readings to the ECU. Especially if you develop a small leak in the line.
    I was a bit concerned about that (and wish I'd have tapped both manifold ends when I had it off instead of just the one) but it's a fairly common practice and with as tight of a fit as the hoses are on the T and clamping all of the connections I'm not really worried about it anymore.

Very nice install JC!! did you have the chance to test it in the water?? You have the stock sc wheel right?? i would like to see your boost numbers with oem wheel, thanks!!

+1
    This coming weekend I'll get it on the water, weather sucked this past weekend. Yes, stock wheel and ecu (for now lol) I'll let you know.

Thread Information