GP1300R starter runs constantly issue

This is actually a 2003 GP1300R motor in an XLT hull if it matters. Twice now I have hit the start button and had the starter keep running, even after I let off the button and pulled the lanyard. I have killed it by removing the negative cable from the battery. After the first time I tested the start/stop switch (tested good) and the starter relay (also tested good). The starter relay appears to be an aftermarket unit. After that I reassembled the CDI box and everything else, and the motor started properly multiple times.

Last night I had to pull the throttle bodies off and remove the fuel line, after reassembling today went to start it and it cranked several times (stopping when I let off the button) but didn't fire, then started cranking and wouldn't stop again. The display was coming on, but I didn't hear any powervalve servo action. After the starter had locked on and I disconnected the battery, I pulled the positive lead off the starter and hooked up the multimeter, between the positive starter lead and the negative terminal it was showing voltage. I disconnected both the start/stop switch and the ECU and still saw voltage. Took out the CDI box and opened it up, never heard the starter relay click off, but tested the starter relay again and still tested fine. Now saw no voltage on the starter cable. Is it possible for the starter relay to come and go? Could the main/fuel relay be having problems? Doesn't seem to be anywhere the positive battery and positive starter cables could short, but that is kind of what this acts like.

+1
    From everything you have described it sounds like the solenoid. unless the battery is low that could cause the solenoid to stick. you could try to test the solenoid by pulling the spark plugs and opening the electric box and keep pushing the start button to try to get it to stick again. then if it sticks unplug the small red wire on the solenoid and see if it stops sticking. also clamp the ground battery cable to the post with a pair of needle nose vice grips so you can quickly disconnect the battery.

By solenoid do you mean what is labeled as the starter relay in the service manual?Or is there another solenoid on the starter or something? Only saw the 2 main cables on the starter.

The battery is brand new and was freshly charged the first time this happened, I hadn't charged it since then. I could top that off, it is still showing 12.36V though so shouldn't be too bad. And you are suggesting I should reconnect the positive cable to the starter so there is current being pulled through the relay, correct? Should I also unplug the fuel pump along with the spark plugs? Or just let that run?

+1
    The solenoid is the starter relay and just remove the plugs.

+1
    bad starter solenoid ( relay) Replace it. It's in the electrical box and the battery wire hook to one side and the other side goes to the starter, Replace it, Replace it, replace it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any experience with the Caltric relays from Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Relay-.../dp/B0076AP0OI

Is it worth just getting the OEM one?

Thread Information