Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ride down the florida keys?

I've been checking out the rides to the bahamas and came up with a idea that led into making up a Rough sketch route but what I have in mind is to launch at Key Largo and head south the whole day making stops at parks and sites to see then stay the night at Key West wake up see the sites around Key West followed by doing a lap or two around the island then relax the day away stay one more night wake up early and head back north to key largo attached is my rough idea of what the trip could look like but has anyone ever tried this? I'm not able to find any stories saying they have any feedback or opinions is appreciated

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ll=2...547a39a7b9963d

+1
    Where ever you stay at for the night make sure your ski is secure.
    Skis in south Fl disappear quickly.

Sounds like a great ride.
    I've been thru the keys and circled a few.
    It's truly a blast riding all the way around a key.

3. +1 by:

this is my dream ride. I will make it to the Keys someday. My best friend went down there 4 years ago and has been begging me to go since. If cash and family were not an issue I would be there in the morning.

+1
    I would LOVE LOVE to go tarpon fishing from a jet ski in Key West.

+1
    This looks like a great ride; def one for the books. That being said - do your homework! I humbly admit that I've never been and know nothing of your route as it winds through the keys. I will say that everywhere you see the word "refuge", "park", "reserve"... there may likely be a law or other ordinance that prohibits PWC travel within that defined area. I'm sure it can be done, but you may need to alter your route.

Also, I read a story a number of years ago by a PWCer who made a "keys" trip; he'd never been there before. On one particular night, he arrived at his hotel's dock. Moored the ski and packed it in for the night. Got up the next AM to find his ski a total loss: He tied his ski off in a fashion to allow for the tidal swing. But when the tide dropped, his ski wound up under the dock. Later, in the early AM, the tide came back in, w/his ski now pinned under the dock, and as the water rose, his ski was crushed from the top down. Just some FYI...

Good luck w/your plans - make it happen! I would love to add a trail like that to my site...

+1
    Thanks it was just a rough sketch that looked interesting i'm sure we will go off course some to check out things I've been do key west and rented a ski there and did the tour around key west which was somewhat fun for just following a group of people, the water half a mile out was warm and the sandbars made it shallow enough to stand so I think it would be safe to do with one ski maybe two I found a marina where we can store watercraft over night although I would call ahead and make sure they have something safe to keep it afloat its all just an idea right now since i'm deployed to Afghanistan but I would love to do it when we come home.

+1
    I have ridden quite a bit of area down there. It is a trip you will never forget but be prepared you will never look at your local waters the same way again. You will feel let down for a very long time. It is by far one of the best places I have ridden here in the country and I have been all over.
    What I would recommend is if you have communicated with any of these members on this thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=soflariders
    or could go to their site http://www.soflariders.net/
    They ride all down there and could help with if your route is a "legal" one or not and give you the areas you need to be sure to stay between the channel markers. I remember riding on that side of the highway there were a few places that we were not allowed to ride and had to be careful not to go in the wrong area.

+1
    Sounds great thanks for all the great info to help my pre trip planning

+1
    "...i'm deployed to Afghanistan..."

And thank you for your service!

+1
    Hello Ryan, This will help you... Stay inside the green a you will be fine... do not go in the red zone.. (Pwc) are not allow!!! Check google earth for plenty of places in the green area to explore...Have fun!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoogleEarth_Image (1).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	302599  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information