Thread: barely a pulse

barely a pulse

starting up my SL650 for the first time since the rebuild. A little history first - ski hasn't been started in 10+ years. Completely rebuilt/upgraded fuel system. Engine compression is good. Engine turns over very strongly. No fuel is being drawn down into the new 3-output fuel pump (gotta love those clear blue lines for their diagnostic properties!). I pulled the pulse line and the pulse is very slight. There's a slight amount of oil coming out of the pulse nipple where it exits the engine. I'm thinking this is the stuff squirted into the cylinders when it was last winterized. Any idea how i clean that out? i'm thinking once that's taken care of my pulse might be good? thanks for your help.

+1
    You could have a case leak or at the crank seals possibly.did you replace thw diaphra
    S in each carb? That's what pushes the fuel thru the system. The pulse is generated from the lower case being sealed and the throw of the crank squeezes the air into the pulse line.

There are 3 drain plugs in the crankcase on the bottom side that need to be removed so the oil can drain out. One plug per cylinder. Make sure your impulse line is clear of oil also. Something I do on first start up, I pressurize the fuel tank with compressed air so all the fuel lines and carbs are full of gas so you don't have to crank on the starter for too long. Don't go overboard with the air, just enough to push the gas through all the lines.

+1
    Yeah that's a good idea to drain the oil..if any... I had a 750sl that when tipped on its crank...a pint of oil muck came out of it and it ran like that! L

well, i took off the spark plugs,cycled it several times to clear out the oil coming from the pulse fitting, and i got a strong pulse! However it still wouldn't start. The clear fuel lines were not filled with gas! i knew it had to be an air blockage sort of thing. A shot of starter fluid (with all the oil that was coating the innards i wasn;t worried) and VROOM she started and lines are filled. many thanks!

Thread Information