+1

Thumbs up Properly sealing up a carbed 951

I'm working on a 1999 GSX Limited. I doing a top end, new fuel lines, and clean/rebuild carbs. I've been researching and sounds like some people have trouble getting these things to seal up nice and reliably. So I'm just looking for a yes or no on my plan. I'm using OEM Seadoo gaskets.

Carbs- dry gaskets and blue loctite on bolts...not known for problems sealing them
    Cylinder base gasket- Lightly coated with threebond 1211, thread sealer or loctite on studs to bottom half.
    Head gasket - Spray copper on gasket, blue loctite on nuts and bolts
    Exhaust manifold - Spray copper on gasket, red loctite
    Pipe to manifold - Spray copper on gasket, red loctite, install rubber diaper around connection.

Thanks for any input!

+1
    You really don't need anything on the base gasket. 1211 can be used on the case halves. I put grease on the cylinder studs. They don't back out, and you don't want to break one off down there. I don't put anything on carb bolts either, but blue probably won't hurt. Its your call on the exhaust manifold bolts also, I usually either put grease, or nothing. Red locktite is good for the pipe bolts and nut. Change the stud if you have an extra. It sucks going to tighten that 15mm nut and the stud snaps off. Then you are pulling the exhaust manifold and drilling the stud out which is not fun.

There is nothing worse than working on a boat after someone that has a locktite fettish.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    There is nothing worse than working on a boat after someone that has a locktite fettish.
    actually fixing a ski where somebody has failed to use threadlock is worse.

you'll want to at least read glenn Perry's ( ppg) excellent writeup on how to seal a 951 pipe

http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/...asp?page=april

Personally I use hi-tech red spray on carb gaskets, copper gasket spray on just about everything else.

+1
    Thanks for the info and links guys!! I'll take all advise into consideration. And of course I'm still open to more advise. Anyone can PM me if you wanna.

+1
    For what its worth, I lightly greased a lot of the gaskets on my Yamaha GP1200 engine build and that worked out great. But I keep reading old posts about the 951 where people struggle with water leaks from the base gasket, exhaust pipe, and head gasket. Do these things have really high water pressure in the cooling system or is it just a little tricky to seal things? The pipe sounds like its tricky.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    hi pressures and high thermal expansion are the hallmarks of big twin engines

When Suzuki came out with a 500cc two stroke twin motorcycle back in the mid 80's is was a nightmare to keep the engine running due to air leaks. The Yamahah RD 350 was much tamer as it had 3 extra studs to keep each cylinder in place.

the 951 is just tricky..Glen's tricks are a must have for any 951 project. The water pressure in the engine isn't any higher then any other Seadoo, but thermal shifts mean that if everything isn't just so..it's gonna leak.

+1
    Dang these things suck to do a top end in the ski. Can't slide the half studs in when the cylinders are back on. I had to partially lift/tilt the cylinders to slide the studs down.
    But I got the top end back together tonite and pressure tested it-all good! Tomorrow I'll pull the pressure test kit back off and start installing the carbs , exhaust, and hooking up stuff.

+1
    It runs! Water testing it tomorrow if the rain holds off long enough!

+1
    Good thing this GSX has a Rule 500 gph bilge pump! Apparently one of the bilge siphon tubes fell out and started pumping water in the hull. There was ALOT of water in there... well over the driveshaft and about 1/2 way up the battery. must have been 30 gallons of water in the hull, I swear!
    I had a sinking feeling...get it?

Thread Information