GP800R freaking stumped

Bought an 04, first time out my bud was on it and I on my SJ. Ran fine on the intercoastal and the ocean, then all at once it would just bog and maintain 1500 rpm or so with any throttle. Lots of smoke as well. Back home, swapped plugs, seemed to help on the trailer. Back in the water, same thing. I had already taken the carbs out and thoroughly cleaned them. Took em out again, rechecked everything, same deal. comp. is 120/125, pv are moving fine(new top end as well, so the PV's didn't drop), jetting screws correct, wtf? It def. seems to be getting too much fuel or oil, plugs are very wet and lots of smoke(checked pump adj., btw) Seems to be getting worse, at least while I have been checking it on the trailer. Won't idle very well anymore, doesn't rev up cleanly... Is there any chance it could be something electrical? Im more of a seadoo guy, and def. not an exp. PV guy. Any help is appreciated.

+1
    Maybe the NS is leaking and dumping a bunch of fuel in the carbs?

+1
    By any chance did you turn the adjusters on the carbs

I didn't have a pop off gauge, but the n/s did seem to hold pressure when I was cleaning them. Adjusters are at 1 7/8 and 1/4. Last night I remembered the prior owner put in a free flowing exhaust mod, so I am almost certain some type of restriction back there is the problem. It's the only thing left, and would cause the exact problems that Im having.

Quote Originally Posted by kcr357 View Post
    I didn't have a pop off gauge, but the n/s did seem to hold pressure when I was cleaning them. Adjusters are at 1 7/8 and 1/4. Last night I remembered the prior owner put in a free flowing exhaust mod, so I am almost certain some type of restriction back there is the problem. It's the only thing left, and would cause the exact problems that Im having.
    Well, that wasn't it.

+1
    If you have good compression and your plugs are wet and bogging it sounds like carbs... TOO much fuel and as bad as it seems you should pull the carbs and check the popoff pressure with the diaphragm off the needle seat so you can see if the O ring on the needle seat is leaking or the needle seat it self.

Oh, they are off again, 3x the charm. Going to check all that, check lines for crud, etc. running out of problems to find...
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    If you have good compression and your plugs are wet and bogging it sounds like carbs... TOO much fuel and as bad as it seems you should pull the carbs and check the popoff pressure with the diaphragm off the needle seat so you can see if the O ring on the needle seat is leaking or the needle seat it self.

+1
    check the lever arm height too. If its too high, it could hold the NS open.

+1
    You said that you cleaned the carbs, but did you rebuild them with the Mikuni kits?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kcr357 View Post
    How do you know the n/s is holding w/o a pop off gauge?

Thread Information