Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Greasing the intermediate bearing

What type of grease does everyone use? I have been using mystic. How often should it be greased as well?

+1
    I use the same grease and also shoot 2 pumps in every year

+1
    I use "Yamaha grease A" and do 1 pump each year (about 40 hours). Make sure to pump it slow and steady. I also pinch the tube and go up and down to make sure it is spreading correctly.

+1
    Most any type of heavy grease will be fine. I use the Yamalube marine stuff. The grease doesn't lube anything, just keeps water away from the bearing. Just make sure you pump it in real slow, or you could pop out the seal. I use a method a friend suggested of running the motor while pumping grease in. That way the spinning shaft will help evenly distribute the grease inside the housing as you pump it.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Most any type of heavy grease will be fine. I use the Yamalube marine stuff. The grease doesn't lube anything, just keeps water away from the bearing. Just make sure you pump it in real slow, or you could pop out the seal. I use a method a friend suggested of running the motor while pumping grease in. That way the spinning shaft will help evenly distribute the grease inside the housing as you pump it.

Any pics of where to grease please

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo View Post

Most Yamahas have a grease nipple mounted near the flush fitting. Some models don't have a fitting though. My friend's VX Cruiser doesn't have one. There is a long hose attached that you can follow down to the inter housing. I cut the hose shorter on mine & attached a fitting much close to the housing to make it easier to pump the grease in, but before that I would do it after riding when the grease in the hose was warm & easier to push through.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo View Post

Most Yamahas have a grease nipple mounted near the flush fitting. Some models don't have a fitting though. My friend's VX Cruiser doesn't have one. There is a long hose attached that you can follow down to the inter housing. I cut the hose shorter on mine & attached a fitting much close to the housing to make it easier to pump the grease in, but before that I would do it after riding when the grease in the hose was warm & easier to push through.
    great cheers I know the one, thanks

+1
    How would you know if you popped the seal out? I did mine at 10 hours and just now at 30 total. I ride mine rough alot. I was going to use the royal purple I have , it's 15$ a tube, but I went with mystic as is said water resistant. Lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    How would you know if you popped the seal out? I did mine at 10 hours and just now at 30 total. I ride mine rough alot. I was going to use the royal purple I have , it's 15$ a tube, but I went with mystic as is said water resistant. Lol
    I guess the best way would be to remove the coupler cover while pumping the grease in to make sure you don't see any signs of grease leaking out. When mine went I originally though it was from greasing it too infrequently, but looking back I was probably doing it too often. Before realizing my inter housing was fried, I had noticed a blob of grease in the hull under the housing one day while wiping down my engine bay. I think I either tried overfilling it or was pumping it in too fast, & that's what caused the seal to get dislodged. I was lucky to find a complete used housing & shaft, but if I had paid for new OEM replacements it would've been an expensive lesson.

Post #3 here shows the carnage:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=138036

+1
    This whole thing makes me nervous for the exact reason of what happened to yours...I did mine at 10 hours but probably not enough...is there a problem to using to little?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information