+1

96 GSX Starting problem

On river ran fine got home to flush it out and the motor sounded like something was broke inside. I pulled motor check head all looked good pulled carbs and timing cover don't know proper name for it seen nothing. Turn motor by hand no sounds and everything looked good. Put starter back on and turned it and got the noise back. Pulled starter and notice it was bent. Order new starter put it in this weekend but can not get motor to start. Check timing twice set correct as can be. But it turns over 2-4 times then stops. Does this every time. Pull plugs turns over like no problems? And help out there?

+1
    Charge the battery if you haven't already. If that doesn't help, you might need to pull the flywheel, and find out what bent the starter gear. I've seen front crank bearings go out, but that usually shuts everything down when the flywheel contacts the stator.

+1
    Battery fully charged still does the same. Before I pull the motor out once more could it be something else? When plugs are out it turns fast and find so it makes me think nothing bent or out of a line. Could the new start not be strong enough to turn it over once the pressure builds?

+1
    It fixed was the magnet bowl. Don't know the correct name for it bit when I pulled the flywheel and out it back I noticed it was off from where it was. placed it back and put it all together started right up. Ran it for over 6 hours yesterday had so much fun thanks all for the help

+1
    That is the flywheel/magneto. Sounds like you sheared a timing key.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Here's What i would do.Assuming its back together...... You said you might of heard engine noise? pull the plugs set a drinking straw, YES a straw on a cylinder, Grab the PTO and slowly rock the crank back and forth to see if the piston moves with the crank movement exactly, If that one does then do the next piston. what you needing to know is if you lost a connecting rod bearings.

+1
    Everything fine now. The sound was from the starter. It was bent and that what the sound was. I pulled everything and everything check out. Notice starter was bent after putting it back together got new starter has trouble starting pulled engine once more that is when I notice I did not put the cup back on correct. Put back on mean great did a 6 hour run. Ran it 2 other times since no problem s about 9 hours on those two trips. 5 1/2 tanks of fuel.

Thread Information