1995 sea doo starting issue

I am having a issue with my sea doo starting. It cranks over fine and starts out out of water. Then when I put it in water it turns over a couple times almost starts and the starter retracts and it quits cranking but you can hear the starter still spinning. After a little while of going through this process it fires up and runs great. I turn it off and start it back up starts up fine. Let it sit for a minute same issue of what happened when I put it in the water. It is even worse with 2 people on it. I need help Cannot figure this one out!! Please help me!

+1
    Sounds like a bad battery or weak starter. jumper it over to another battery, or a non running vehicle, and see if that changes the cranking speed. That starter is easy to change, just make sure you remove the 13mm nut on the back side of the 6mm allen (if that boat has one)

Check your connections also. Clean the battery terminals, and check your main ground cable.

+1
    DO NOT TRY TO JUMP YOUR SKI!!! it will likely ruin your electronics. its not a bad starter, my 98 XPL does the same thing. your started bendix is not engaging thats why you hear your starter spin but not catch. usually mine does that 2-3 times before it finally catches. mines is bearable but before too long i will be replacing my bendix as well. bendix is only $30 on ebay by the way.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brblommel View Post
    DO NOT TRY TO JUMP YOUR SKI!!! it will likely ruin your electronics. its not a bad starter, my 98 XPL does the same thing. your started bendix is not engaging thats why you hear your starter spin but not catch. usually mine does that 2-3 times before it finally catches. mines is bearable but before too long i will be replacing my bendix as well. bendix is only $30 on ebay by the way.
    Actually you can...from a non running vehicle as stated. It's when the car or truck is running is when the alternating current from the alternator can fry electronics. And yes, it sounds like a bendix issue and weak battery not a starter.

+1
    thanks for the correction airborne! thats a usefull piece of information to have about the jump starting, i was always told not to jump them at all.

+1
    Don't get excited. I said "non running vehicle" I don't think he's describing his bendix not engaging when he hits the start button. It sounds like the bendix is engaging, but then it is releasing before the engine starts, or he quits cranking. I was thinking a weak battery first, then possibly a starter problem. Could be a bendix, but I would lean towards battery then starter then bendix.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Don't get excited. I said "non running vehicle" I don't think he's describing his bendix not engaging when he hits the start button. It sounds like the bendix is engaging, but then it is releasing before the engine starts, or he quits cranking. I was thinking a weak battery first, then possibly a starter problem. Could be a bendix, but I would lean towards battery then starter then bendix.
    new bendix $50 shipped

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post

I have a brand new aqua torque high torque starter I personally think that this is a bad starter I ordered a oem starter off the green hulk oem parts store hope that fixes the problem. The battery is not weak it's a year old and its output is 12 volts while trying to start it

Thread Information