95 STS big pin, not getting fuel

So im new on here but have been checking out posts on greenhulk for almost a year. Kudos to you guys, this is a money site and you guys rock it.
    Having said that. I just rebuilt the top end of a 95 Kawi STS 750 Big pin motor. Rebuilt the carbs also. My sts supplement manual shows 3/4 on both high and low screws as factory setting, so for break in I set them at 7/8. Went to put around and it rode great, very responsive and crisp in the low ranges. I didn't go over 50% throttle for break in. When i finally started using the upper throttle range, i just got hesitation. When I went to fiddle with the highs a week later and get that tuned, everything went wacko. I have not been able to get proper acceleration at any throttle range. It will fire up easy and idle great, but once i get on the gas it flops. Sometimes it will rev up to about 4 k and die, others it wont get past idle. I have tried every combo of adjustment screw and cant get it to go.
    It occurred to me that its acting like the gas restricted, so i blew in the return line and got fuel coming out of the supply line, not a ton, but it came out.
    Im just crazy frustrated with this. Why was it going so awesome immediately after the rebuild? Where can I go from here? Any ideas are great

+1
    Check the spark plug wires. They break near the end and give very erratic problems. Unscrew the rubber boot and see if you can pull any wire strands out with needle nose pliers. Trim about 1/2 inch off the end and re-install the boot.

Had this problem on one of mine, drove me crazy.

Okay ill give it a shot. I know one of the wires was sealed with silicone where it goes into the cdi box cause it looks like someone broke the plastic shindig. Ill see what it does.
    I forgot to mention that if i hit it with the primer while accelerating, it takes off (but only for 2 seconds obviously). I don't know whether that would be plug related or not. That is why i was thinking it was a fuel issue.

+1
    In that case, I think you're right--fuel problem. Try running on Reserve, bypass the fuel selector with a barbed splice connector, look at the fuel pump, pulse line, etc.

I got all excited because I thought the problem was fixed. But not the case.
    So I went to the marina, flipped it to reserve and there was a huge difference. I went back and forth between ON and RES and it was obviously getting more fuel on res, but still not like it should. I pulled the pickups out of the tank, they looked pretty clean but I cleaned them anyway. It was also loading up a bit in the 3k range, so I leaned it like 1/8 turn. Then blah, its falling on its face. I put it back to where it was, and still blah. It can hardly stay running at ON, RES it accelerates, but still can't pass the 4k mark. Again, if i give it a primer shot as I accelerate, it shoots up and out and is a rocket until I drip to an idle again, then the prob comes back.

Wouldn't a bad fuel selector switch cause the same prob on On and RES? The gaskets on the fuel pump are brand new, and it performs great at 4k+. just getting there is the issue. Any more idears?

+1
    Adjust the mixture screws a little richer and see what happens.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    If you have the dual carbs your settings are wrong.....low speed screws 3/4 - high speed 1 1/4 That will fix your problem....

Thread Information