Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Check list? hoping someone can add something I am missing on my 96 SLT 700

Running poorly, Idles great! Not getting a very good take off, not running great with throttle open and not really getting to top speed. Shows signs on occasion that it wants to run right. I have rebuilt carbs, changed fuel lines and filters, emptied tank with fresh gas and added stabil to the gas, compression is fine 125 -120 made sure all my air connections where good and tight! One thing I did find out that I am going to test out is that the plugs I am using NGK bpr6es is not what the ski calls for it is NGK bpr8es. I am hoping that this will make a huge difference but it ran well one trip to the lake with these plugs so I am skeptical. AM I MISSING SOMETHING? ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT I NEED TO CHECK?

+1
    Running the wrong plugs can cause issues. Get some bpr8es's in there and see how it runs.

+1
    Definitely start with getting the correct plugs in it. With the NGK plugs, the lower the number the hotter the plug. Have you replaced the fuel select switch (on/off/reserve)? They tend to fail and let air in causing a lean condition.

I'd recommend taking a look at this too, if you haven't set the arm height to .060" that may be part of your problem... http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1793016

When you rebuilt the carbs what did you set the low and high jets at? I believe the 96 SLT 700 should be 5/8 on the low and 1.5 turns out on the high speed screws.

Tested the fuel selector switch and it is good to go. Of course the plugs I need I will have to go get tomorrow in another town. Got the high set and the low pretty close to 5/8s. the arm height is set at .060...I noticed while firing it up outside for about 20 seconds the left motor is considerably hotter than the right I am not sure if that means anything or not but like I said I tested compression and they are fine and actually looked inside the cylinder walls and they are smooth

+1
    Do you have the updated ignition?

I do not think so...but how could that cause problem?

Banned User
    +1
    The old original ignitions fail.

+1
    Have you swapped the plugs for the correct ones?

How did you test the fuel select switch? Do you have something you can pull a vacuum on it with? There's not really a good way to test it so typically most recommend to just replace it. You can get a brand new one for a Sea-Doo that will work for under $20. Or for testing purposes you could bypass it.

When you say "the left motor is considerably hotter than the right" do you mean that the one cylinder is hot and the other is cold? This would indicate a possible spark or fueling issue. If the gas/oil mixture does not ignite it won't heat up the cylinder like a properly running one would. They should be about equal in temperature.

It's possible that the stator, cdi or coil pack on the ignition system are failing. I'd start by getting the correct plugs in it and verifying you have spark. The early ignition systems were known for failing on the twin and triple domestic (red) motors. About 99-00 (depending on model) they came from the factory with the 'updated' ignition system that is much more reliable. The most common failure is the stator which can be checked by measuring the resistances of the coils. Typically either the 1200 or 88 ohm coils fail and cause an open circuit. These coils are wound with very fine wire and the heating/cooling, vibration, etc eventually leads to their failure. Are you sure you have the original ignition system? What color are the spark plug boots?

Spark plug boots are black...I am thinking that the reason the left motor is getting hotter is cause of the fuel delivery...Both motors get a warm but the left is just hotter than right. I don't think and at least hope I DO not have a major problem. I wish one of you guys lived close damnit..lol...Im ready to blow this thing up! I know once I get it running right I am going to love it though

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Left and right are confusing terms. The engine is mounted inline in the hull. One cylinder will be closest to the front, that is the front or MAG cylinder.

The cylinder closest to the rear is the rear or PTO cylinder.

Normally all references to left and right are from the perspective of standing behind the hull or sitting on the seat. So the exhaust is on the left, the carburetor is on the right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information