94 polaris 650 performance non issue?

Hi All,

Great site...have learned soooo much from this site is soooo little time. I appreciate all info.

I have picked up an older 94 polaris 650 sl I bought REAL cheap from a client. It had a hole in the hull and had apparently been sunk at some point( due to the last owners faulty patch). The last owner had apparently brought it to his mechanic after sinking and he basically stated that it was not work fixing. Just by looking at it I thought it might have potential. so...I read everything on this site about what NOT to do when you buy an old PWC.
    So far...I have cleaned it up, bought a new battery, greased and lubed all points and parts, changed plugs.
    I had to remove the gas tank to patch the inner hull, then 6x patched the outer hull.
    Changed the oil, and gas in each tank, and read at least half the service manual.
    It seemed to have a little oil/water mix in the cylinders when turning it over, but keep cleaning it , then changed the plugs again.
    So now its starts with no problems......took it for a water test ( I know, I know...shouldn't have...!)
    It seemed to run great at least for 30 minutes.....maybe an occasional bog, but pretty dam good. I was very worried at first about the bearings, but apparently its not an issue once its running for a while.....?...and has not blown up...? Should I be worried if there may have been some water in there .......for a while?

My main question or concern for the group here is about the "lean" fuel mixture an older machine may experience and the potential engine issues it may develop.
    Do I need to install that triple outlet fuel pump even if my machine seems to run ok?
    I know that in the very near future I will need a carb overhaul, but I am not the most mechanical guy and am scared to death to completely rebuild my carb.
    I would love to be able to run my machine all summer without doing much more. Am I dreaming or should I get that fuel pump right away....before running it again?

Itchin to Fly

Thanks in advance

Sheldon

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Rebuild those carbs, or have someone do it for you. Risk of engine damage is significant otherwise. Just rolling the dice if you do not rebuild them properly.

The fuel pump; either rebuild the original pump or install the triple outlet upgrade fuel pump. Most guys put the money into the upgrade fuel pump rather than rebuilding the original.

Engine bearings. No one can predict how long they might last. Since it has held together for 30 minutes so far, you have some chances of it continuing to work.

I would at least use a good quality 2-stroke oil, but if the bearings have some rust they will die and no oil will prevent that.

Ok great. thank you sooo much for the advice.

What would be the best place to get these parts.....any canadian site that would ship fast?
    Also...what type of carb would I have on a 94 polaris 650sl?

Sheldon

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoulin View Post
    Ok great. thank you sooo much for the advice.

What would be the best place to get these parts.....any canadian site that would ship fast?

Sheldon
    Where are you located?

Contact John Zigler at www.watcon.com for parts and excellent service.

Near Ottawa

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoulin View Post

Sheldon
    Mikuni SBN 38s

ok guys thx for all the info...Just ordered a new fuel pump and carb rebuild kit. Wish me luck.

Also...anyone know if there is an actual "hours meter" on my machine and where I would find it?

Thx.

Sheldon

+1
    The only hour meter would be on an MFD, if so equipped. But even those are not that reliable....

Banned User
    +1
    What did you use to repair the hull? If you used polyester resin the repair WILL fail. Epoxy resin only on these SMC hulls.

+1
    Like everyone said be sure you rebuild the carbs and replace the fuel pump with the triple outlet high-output pump. If you have not done so already, you'll want to replace the fuel select valve and all fuel lines. The Fuji engines and older SL's can be very reliable if you put in the time to go through them thoroughly.

The crank bearings are probably a crapshoot. I'd say if the compression is good it would be an indication that the cylinders are ok (minimal rust inside the cylinders at least) that the crank bearings probably didn't suffer from much damage but it's hard to say. Have you checked the compression at all just to see where you're at?

Thread Information