Thread: SUV Carb Issue?

SUV Carb Issue?

On the short I picked up an extremely clean 2003 SUV with 39hrs. It had been sitting in this guys garage since 2004. Back in January (2013) he took it in for a full tune up and carb rebuild. Since I bought the ski I have ran it about 10hrs, 4 tanks of fuel, fresh yamaha lube, been on 2 trips 80 miles+ and the ski has ran like a dream.

This past weekend we did a 100 mile ride with our club and again the ski ran like a dream until the last 2 miles. As we were closing in on the dock area if I dropped the RPM's below 4500 the ski would lose power and bogg down to idle. If I pulled the trigger it would bogg at 4500-5000 RPM's and wouldnt get on plain. I had to barely feather the throttle to get it back on plain and even then sometimes had trouble.

Yesterday I checked the plugs and they seemed a bit dark but after reading here and some pics the color of the plugs seem normal. Can carbs just "go out" or become out of tune with out reason? I'm thinking the dealership should stand by their carb rebuild?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Compression readings?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by showmepro1200 View Post
    Compression readings?
    +1

+1
    check your Compression on all sides.....or maybe a power valve.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    check your Compression on all sides.....or maybe a power valve.
    SUVs don't have power valves

Update:

Took the ski in to the dealership since I'm not experienced with these motors. 125psi across the board and they couldnt find anything wrong other than a little water on the plugs. They couldnt put a load on the ski since their tank wasnt big enough (which if they could they would have witnessed the problem). They drained the tank and mopped it for water- said no water was found and a fresh set of plugs. They put some fuel addititive in and told me to go run it...so I did. Ski ran great all along the lake shoreline at all RPM's and speeds. I cut the engine and my girls got off for a quick cool off. After sitting for 10mins it started fine but when I loaded the ski up on power it bogged (same problem as before) but it only happened once. I feathered the throttle and she jumped right up. I cut the power back and tried again. WOT and she launced out of the water. I'm stumped.

+1
    The water on the plugs could be concerning. If its not coming from the fuel tank, then it could be coming from a leaky headgasket or a crack in the head or cylinders. More likely headgasket. But it could also just be condensation from the water in the exhaust. So it could be a problem or it could be normal. You could try re-torqueing the head bolts and see if any are loose.
    If possible, next time it bogs down, stop right away and pull the plugs. See if they are fouled up with water.

Thread Information