Thread: I need advice

I need advice

Well first off Im new here so I wasn't quite sure where to post this...

I am looking into buying a pair of pwc's. I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 pairs. One pair is a 1996 kawasaki kxi 1100 and a 1997 polaris sl 900. This pair is 3300 with a trailer. The other pair is a 1995 polaris sl650 and a 1995 polaris sl750 with a double trailer for 2000. Both pairs have only been fresh water ridden. I guess my question is what do people suggest? Which is a better deal and which are better machines. Thank you!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Location?

Syracuse NY

Also, the sl 650 had new rings and pistons .020 oversized put in 4 yrs ago

+1
    The SL 900 is probably the fastest ski of the four that you listed. There is an ignition upgrade that may or may not have been completed.

If I was inexperienced on wrenching I would buy the two Fujis (SL 650 and SL 750). There is a lot of work to be done on any ski this old. With two alike you can learn what you need to know and apply the knowledge to both ski's.
    I don't know anything about the Kawasaki's but I have heard they have the same issues handling as the small SL 750 (Hopping). The 1100cc Kawasaki will use a lot of fuel its not much faster than an SL 750.
    I would update the Fuji's fuel systems as suggested in my signature links and go have fun. You can always sell them and buy other ski's once you know what you want. I rode a 1995 SL 750 for over six years and had great luck and a bunch of fun on it. I sold it to a relative 3-4 years ago and rode it this weekend. It still runs great. If the ski's are in good condition and good compression $2000 seems reasonable.
    What is you mechanical experience level?

Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    The SL 900 is probably the fastest ski of the four that you listed. There is an ignition upgrade that may or may not have been completed.

If I was inexperienced on wrenching I would buy the two Fujis (SL 650 and SL 750). There is a lot of work to be done on any ski this old. With two alike you can learn what you need to know and apply the knowledge to both ski's.
    I don't know anything about the Kawasaki's but I have heard they have the same issues handling as the small SL 750 (Hopping). The 1100cc Kawasaki will use a lot of fuel its not much faster than an SL 750.
    I would update the Fuji's fuel systems as suggested in my signature links and go have fun. You can always sell them and buy other ski's once you know what you want. I rode a 1995 SL 750 for over six years and had great luck and a bunch of fun on it. I sold it to a relative 3-4 years ago and rode it this weekend. It still runs great. If the ski's are in good condition and good compression $2000 seems reasonable.
    What is you mechanical experience level?
    Thanks I appreciate you getting back to me. I don't have any experience on ski's but I have a little bit on old 2 stroke outboard motors

+1
    Go with the 650 / 750 combo, IMO. Very easy to work on and figure out. Once you master, you can move on to the Domestics if you choose......

Thread Information