Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2000 STX DI EMM Cooling rework

Found the following on another forum, and wanting to get input from others here. It sounds good, the only question I have the the line he is talking about to move goes to the muffler. Is this water needed to cool the muffler?

To add to the reliability there is one simple thing you can do (I got this recommendation from friend that works at Kawasaki). Re-route the EMM cooling water from the pipe to outside the boat. To do that, disconnect the EMM outlet hose from the 90 degree fitting on the pipe. Remove the fitting and insert a brass plug into the pipe. Drill a hole in the hull for a thru hull fitting (stock Kawi or UMI) in close proximity to the existing fitting. Connect the hose to the thru hull fitting. This accomplishes 2 things.
    1) Visual indication the EMM is being cooled. If your cooling system is ever plugged the EMM will overheat and you'll never know it. The water is routed separately to the EMM vs. the block. This can damage the processor and increase the probabilty of failure.
    2) Without the restriction of the cooling water exiting the pipe, the EMM runs a number of degrees cooler do to increase water flow, enhancing it's life.

+1
    What I did was;
    -Get a longer piece of rubber hosing to go from the outlet of the EMM (on the back) to a thru-hull Kawi fitting, P/N; 92071-3815 (Kawi calls it a "grommet")
    -For the EMM inlet hose, coming from the top of the stator cover, install a brass tee. The third port will go to the exhaust where you pulled the old EMM outlet hose off of.

Easy as that. Total spent was like $20. I'll take pics soon if you want when the weather is better.

+1
    I am wondering if that fitting will allow enough water to pass thru the EMM to keep it cooled? So you are saying that the exhaust does need an input to keep it cool?

+1
    It's the same thru-hull fitting that's on the starboard side, except this second one will be specifically for the EMM.
    That's not the only water inlet for the exhaust, it also gets water from elsewhere. I just felt more comfortable tee'ing the line than blocking off the inlet.

+1
    How long have you been running this modification? What type of flow is coming out of the second EMM outlet?

+1
    About a year now. If memory serves me correct, it flows about 75% of the starboard side at idle, and about 90% @ WOT.

+1
    How did you drill through the hull?

+1
    1/2" drill, enlargened slightly by rotating the drill. Fiberglass = SUPER easy to drill thru, just dusty.

Does anyone have pictures of how this set this up? I recently bought a '00 1100 stx DI and it has been in the shop since I purchased it. The issue we have been seeing lately is the ECU heating up due to blocked lines. We cleared these out but I am very interested in getting this mod added to prevent the same issue, I don't think it burnt up my EMM but it was having issues after about 30 minutes of riding the couple times we tried and idled back to the ramp. I will have the ski back next week...hopefully working...and I will add this mod. The ski looks show room new so it hurts to see it still having issues...just 40 hours on the machine with not a spot of rust on it. Spent $500 so far so a fuel system clean out and clearing some crap out of the head water jackets. It sat unused for over 7 years.

I have been learning a lot on the forum and have a pretty good understanding of the machine thanks to all the helpful post!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xeiot View Post
    Does anyone have pictures of how this set this up? I recently bought a '00 1100 stx DI and it has been in the shop since I purchased it. The issue we have been seeing lately is the ECU heating up due to blocked lines. We cleared these out but I am very interested in getting this mod added to prevent the same issue, I don't think it burnt up my EMM but it was having issues after about 30 minutes of riding the couple times we tried and idled back to the ramp. I will have the ski back next week...hopefully working...and I will add this mod. The ski looks show room new so it hurts to see it still having issues...just 40 hours on the machine with not a spot of rust on it. Spent $500 so far so a fuel system clean out and clearing some crap out of the head water jackets. It sat unused for over 7 years.

I have been learning a lot on the forum and have a pretty good understanding of the machine thanks to all the helpful post!
    The Polaris Ficht EMM is very, very similar to the Kawasaki D.I. (Ficht) EMM.

I recently installed an external water exit pisser on my MSX 140. This thread shows what was done.

Note that in the Polaris cooling system the water pressure at idle and low speeds is higher when the engine is cold. Once warmed up the thermostat opens and that results in reduced water pressure at low speeds (which is OK). The video clip shows the pisser water flow with the engine fully warmed up.

The water flow rate through the EMM is not huge, even at full throttle. It does not take a lot of water flow to keep the EMM cool, just 'enough'. The electronics in these EMM are fairly tough, overall. They just need some cooling to keep the internal temperatures reasonable. No need for extreme water cooling flow, the EMM likely won't really care.

The primary concern when changing the cooling system routing is making sure you have a method to drain all the water out for winterizing. Either figure out how to have gravity drain the water hoses or plan to apply some compressed air to blow out any standing standing water in the hoses before winter sets in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information