RXT-X aS 260 Tippy

I did a search and found I'm not alone on this. Additional comments would be much appreciated. I rode my 2013 RXT-X-aS 260 for the first time Monday. Admittedly I'm new to PWC, but this thing seems way tippy. It also leans to one side when running slow. Is this ski going to roll over and dump me (and possibly 1 passenger) into the water when not going fast enough or is this just a sensation that a paranoid newbie needs to get accustomed? Some people claim they can stand with both feet on one foot well and not roll the ski over. Is this true for an aS suspended ski with a 230 pound rider? (I'd rather know your experience BEFORE I try it!)

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I have an iS and weigh about 215. I regularly stand in one foot well getting on and off the thing and have never come close to tipping over. Being higher up takes getting used to and I had the same problems when going slow. I was afraid it was going to roll over, but pretty soon I got the hang of it. It still doesn't like to go slow, but then again, I rarely ever ride it below 50 these days. The one difference with my iS compared to an aS is the fact that I can raise or lower the deck at the push of a button. When idling just before beaching/stopping/docking etc...I put it in dock mode, which lowers the deck all the way.

Note the beginning of the video: I started the ski with me in the left footwell and backed off the shore, turned it 180 and then sat down.

UNSANE...thank you very much for the reply. If you have your deck raised, are you still OK standing with both feet in one foot well? Put another way, does the dock mode on the iS make the difference between getting dumped off the ski or staying dry? Or is it more of a convenience/nice to have feature (that I wish the aS had!)?

+1
    Deck up or down, doesn't matter. I'm so used to it now that I sometimes run practice race course buoys with the deck all the way up.

Good ridding Unsane,I like how you always looked back for your bros.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogger View Post
    Good ridding Unsane,I like how you always looked back for your bros.
    Thx. Although looking back in such tight water can cause issues on its own, I will take a peek if I can't see anybody in my mirrors, usually around corners so I don't have to turn my head as far. I'm riding with Duke, Big John, PatVspec, Loosebolts Rob, JP1300R and sometimes Duke's wife Carrie rides with us too (like this day). These are the kind that I like being around and the type of riding I prefer to do.

That's encouraging that I'm not getting dumped off my ski simply because I can't lower the deck! It was cold and the wind was kicking up some very small white caps when I took my first ride. The ski went over chop and its own wake as smooth as can be...with my fanny sitting on the seat. So I like the ride! Now for getting comfortable with the feel of a high center of gravity.

Thanks again for you replies UNSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by UNSANE View Post
    Deck up or down, doesn't matter. I'm so used to it now that I sometimes run practice race course buoys with the deck all the way up.

Well, until the brand new ski developed a need to go to the ski doctor (see other thread), I was getting the hang of this ski. After about an hour, I found that my sense of balance was best ignored and let the ski wobble as it may at slow speeds. Bump the throttle and steer straight and tippy turns into way more stable. At 2 hours I my "Sea-Doo legs" where working OK but the ski was not. Me sad.

Thread Information