Thread: Gp1300r help?

Gp1300r help?

Hi I have a 2005 yamaha gp1300r with about 130 hours on it, I was wondering how long these engines run because I am thinking of doing some engine performance upgrades. I mainly want a great ski for jumping waves but but can also do in the 70's. Right now mine really struggles getting going? (maybe a new impeller?) I was wondering if anyone could suggest what parts I can get to bring her back to life, and basically keep the costs as low as I'm working on a students budget. if anyone can help me out by pointing me in the right direction with what I can get to make the ski better then it was new, I have no clue where to even start.
    Thanks in advanced

+1
    Great post I just got my 04 and that's exactly what I am looking for.

+1
    Hello and welcome to the Hulk. To keep it on the low $$, you can look @ the mods available to you from Riva or R & D, then go on line here or Ebay and look for someone selling the parts you may want. you will most likely get them @ much lower cost. Just make sure the ski (engine) are in gould working order before spending $$ on upgrades. Yamaha GPR's are well built and can take a lot of tweeking. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Hulk. To keep it on the low $$, you can look @ the mods available to you from Riva or R & D, then go on line here or Ebay and look for someone selling the parts you may want. you will most likely get them @ much lower cost. Just make sure the ski (engine) are in gould working order before spending $$ on upgrades. Yamaha GPR's are well built and can take a lot of tweeking. Good Luck
    Thanks I spoke to wmf(local shop) by email and they suggested "A solas impeller, Riva pump seal kit, and intake grate, and remove the catalitic converter.* You should see around 66-68 on GPS. It will take and have great accelaratin, should be around 800 for everything installed" does that sound the right thing to do? Is there another cheap add on that could get a little more speed out of it? Thanks

Bump. Anyone have any ideas on which I can do? Also how long will the engines run on these? Should I not dump money into something with 130 hours onto it?

+1
    If your looking for alittle help you can check out my build thread. The link is located in my signature. But to start off first. You can't have both acceleration and top speed. If you want hole shot (acceleration) I would buy a skat impeller. Or buy a Solas impeller and island racings hole shot kit. In my ski I'm running a solas 14/20 pitched impeller with IR's hole shot kit and it has plenty of power. But depending on where your located a 13/19 could be better for you. All depends on the air, etc. 130 hours is a decent amount of hours for GPR. Soon you'll probably be putting a new top end in it. And the last question should you dump money into it... That's totally up to you the gpr is an awesome jetski and with the proper maintance they'll last. When they break it could get expensive. But that's every hobby.

+1
    Secondly. A D-Plate is a must for the GPRs and should be the first thing you should install on it. Also I would consider a tunnel reinforcement as well since they are prone to cracking. And island racings hole shot kit only cost $185 I believe and can be found here www.islandracing.net

Also a pump seal kit will increase the ability of the ski staying hooked in the water. Also a must.

I too built my ski on a college student budget but I deffinelty worked my ass off for it. I am not sponsored by mommy and daddy either hahaha. Modifications can be done cheaply. By one doing it yourself and learning and two buying used parts here on the forum. There is alot of great stuff for sale here.
    Last edited by BLACKandSILVER06GPR; 05-30-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKandSILVER06GPR View Post
    Secondly. A D-Plate is a must for the GPRs and should be the first thing you should install on it. Also I would consider a tunnel reinforcement as well since they are prone to cracking. And island racings hole shot kit only cost $185 I believe and can be found here www.islandracing.net

Also a pump seal kit will increase the ability of the ski staying hooked in the water. Also a must.
    I too built my ski on a college student budget but I deffinelty worked my ass off for it. I am not sponsored by mommy and daddy either hahaha. Modifications can be done cheaply. By one doing it yourself and learning and two buying used parts here on the forum. There is alot of great stuff for sale here.

Thanks. What I'm looking at now is the island racing level 1 kit. They don't say what exactly mph and acceleration it gains but do you have an idea of what it would give? Also how would I go about doing the tunnel reinforcement ? Thanks a lot

+1
    Level 1 kit honestly would probably give you 65.5 to 66 tops mph. There are alot of free mods you can do such as stepping you sponsons and opening up your cowl. All the mods on my ski gave me 66.7 mph and i still adjusting and tunning things such as my ride plate, trim tabs and fuel. Once again it all depends on where you ride. You will be faster in cooler air compared to warmer air. There is plenty of info on here about stepping sponsons and opening up your cowls "free Air mod". It is very common to gpr owners. The tunnel reinforcement is sold as a kit. The skin only is available on this webstite or the full kit is available from Carl at IR. I did a short write on my build thread about this install.

What do you guys think I should do, put money into mine or sell it and buy a newer one that is already modified? Also how much do you think I could get for mine, it's a 2005 with around 110 hours has a few scratches on it but runs good?

Thread Information