Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Thumbs up The trials and tribulations of buying my WaveRunners.

Cliffs: A lot of dealers wouldn't work with me, found a couple of good dealerships who did (work with me).

Joined Green Hulk. Got lots of advice and tips. Decided that the best for me was the Yamaha FX HO, and that is what I bought a pair of. But before that came about, here is what I had to go through.

Of course I went to the local dealership first. The only price they would give me was MSRP. So I began looking elsewhere. I found boattrader and found a pair of used SeaDoos in Texas. Decided against it.

So then I found pwctrader. I found sale prices on 2012s. The Jacksonville dealership said that they had 74 of them in stock for a sub-$10K price! Of course when I called they didn't have any. Then I found a similar deal in Orlando--they sold the last one "yesterday." But then I became aware of how low a dealership will stoop just to get you to call.

But there were good prices from California to Maine to Florida. So I called a couple of dealerships about 60 miles away: Morgan City and Baton Rouge. Morgan City pretty much said, "Hey, we done sold 22 units last week and we ain't a-budging on our prices." Baton Rouge was kinda working with me, just not good enough.

Then I thought again about buying used and a guy from another hooked me up with his buddy in Mississippi. I was *this* close to making the deal with him when I was advised not to make the deal on the older 2-stroke skis mostly by you guys. I hope I didn't piss off Dan's friend too much, but I know that he was at a minimum disappointed when I backed out.

I even called North Carolina because their prices looked good. I called Jacksonville, Orlando (2 places), Tampa, Tulsa. But as it turned out, North Carolina had the best price and included the 5 year Yamaha warranty for which the others wanted from $400 to $900 per watercraft.

I even gave the local dealership several chances to work with me and save me a trip to somewhere over the rainbow/state line. "General sales manager is out on a test drive, I'll call you back." Never did. I called several times after that and neither the salesman nor the sales manager could be found.

Oh, but prior to picking them up, I needed a trailer. Since I was still in negotiations with the New Orleans dealership at the time and they only had galvanized, I knew I had to buy elsewhere because Green Hulk said Triton aluminum. So that started a whole new thing and I found the salespeople to be not as bad dealing with trailers, but still only ONE dealer who was willing to work with me.

So when I ended up with a load near the Houston area, I called the trailer guy and we made our deal. But the load took much longer than it should have. I got to the trailer shop at about 8:30 PM. And guess what? Larry came out to meet me, do the paperwork, and load me up! So, best financial deal on the best trailer and that kind of service to boot!

So if you ever need any kind of aluminum trailer--not just for watercraft--give Larry a call.

Larry Bierstedt
    Aluminum Trailer Connection, Inc.
    9827 Windmill Park Lane
    Houston, TX 77064
    (800) 858-4633 or (281) 477-8900 or even his cell (713) 882-6711

He deals Triton and Karavan trailers for ATVs, boats, enclosed, motorcycles, PWCs, snowmobiles, utility.

I found a dealership in New Orleans and had a rapport with the GSM there, we e-mailed back and forth several times as detailed in my n00b thread. But when I finally sent him the e-mail giving my offer, he didn't reply. And then when I called and asked for him, for the first time ever they asked, "May I tell him who's calling?" and then they transferred me to the salesman instead. Salesman told me that I now had to deal with their Mobile, AL, store for the financing and paperwork. I called them and instead of answering the phone, "Hall Motorsports!" he answered, "Hey Mr. Bryan!" So they knew who I was and then proceeded to act like I had never talked to the GSM at the other dealership.

Thankfully, it was at this time that Bruce with Kawasaki Yamaha Suzuki of Hickory, NC, called to check on my progress. He offered me the same price that New Orleans had come down to--but included the 5 year Y.E.S. warranty.

Then work called and said, "Hey, would you like a load to Marietta, Ohio?" They were shocked when I accepted. So I delivered the load and then dropped by Hickory and picked up the duo. I already had my trailer, that made the choice so much easier because there was no way I was going to pay the freight to get the WaveRunners delivered and probably would have found the drive there to be cost prohibitive.

Then the Baton Rouge guy called me back and I told him what he had to beat. But within just a few minutes, it didn't matter because I made my deal with Bruce the salesman in Hickory and handled the paperwork with Greg, the sales/finance manager. So all Baton Rouge said was that they couldn't compete with that--but for me to be careful because unscrupulous dealers will make a deal like that to get you in the door then have lots of hidden charges. He then told me that if that was the case, give him a call back and we'd work something out.

Turns out there were no hidden charges and Hickory was on the up and up. So talk to Bruce or Greg:

Kawasaki-Yamaha-Suzuki of Hickory
    1824 13th Ave Dr NW
    Hickory, NC 28601
    (828 ) 328-6303

It was a lot of work, but now I have the deal I was looking for and can now join the gang on a trip to the Bahamas at the end of the summer! Anybody here want to join in 29 August - 1 September? I want us to look like an armada heading to the Bahamas to take over!

Anyhow, I just wanted to let Green Hulk know about a couple of really good dealerships out there so you guys can throw them some business if possible. I like to help out those who help me.

+1
    Glad you got it done, do have them on the trailer and when are you getting them in the water for the first ride?

+1
    Not on the "correct" trailer yet. I just got done with the taxing agencies today and have to get the registration forms to the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries tomorrow. Now, one of the forms says to keep it but doesn't exactly say that I can use them even though I don't have numbers yet. But that may be moot because I wasn't going to lift them out of the racks with a forklift and I have to wait for the AquaCart sling to arrive so's I can do it without hurting the skis. And it looks like the shipper is dragging their feet.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    ... I have to wait for the AquaCart sling to arrive so's I can do it without hurting the skis. And it looks like the shipper is dragging their feet.
    Perhaps you could cancel the Amazon order and purchase from Aquacart directly?

Might be worth calling Aquacart to see how quickly they can ship.

+1
    Lo and behold, since I sent the message, it seems to have shipped early this morning. I guess they felt sorry for me.

+1
    That's great, Bryan. I had a similar experience w/ The New Orleans & Halls Motorsports dealers. Turned out I knew one of the sales reps at Friendly Yamaha in Baton Rouge. He hooked me up w/ a decent deal and had no problems putting my new ski on my old GTI trailer. Others had a problem w/ that. I just kept a copy of the registration paperwork in the ski while I waited for the numbers to come in. That's all you need to do. Seems like it took approx. 6-weeks before they arrived. Good luck !!!

+1
    If you carry any papers on the watercraft, put them in a double zip-lock Baggie.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you carry any papers on the watercraft, put them in a double zip-lock Baggie.
    I've tried my best to flip the damn ski over, and it just won't do it !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I've tried my best to flip the damn ski over, and it just won't do it !!!
    Rain, waves, splashing, wet hands, wet gear, condensation, dampness, dripping nose ...

+1
    Sounds exhausting but very glad for you everything ended the way you wanted. Congrats and look forward to seeing you out I the water

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information