Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2006 RXP With Bad Motor

Hey Everyone,

I bought an 06 RXP with 200hrs this past weekend with the understanding it did not run. I got it home and checked the oil only to find a dry dipstick. I added 4-5 quarts of oil and it looks like every bit ended up in the hull. I'm assuming it is going to need a replacement(remanufactured) engine and I wanted some input. I was an automotive technician during college and feel that I can probably handle the install with the help of my friends.

My concerns are as follows:

1) Where should I get the motor? I like the idea of an SBT but I know some people are negative towards them.

2) Aside from the supercharger washers, are there any items I should change/repair while I have it apart?

Thank You,

Will

I bought my OEM seadoo longblock (assembled longblock) from my local seadoo dealer about 4yrs ago. It cost me about $4k (give or take just a couple hundred). The manufacturer gave me $500 back out of my $1k core charge. I was shocked, considering my longblock was destroyed after throwing a rod clean through the case and bitching the head up too. I've been beating the shit out of my RXP for the past 190+hrs (boat has 270ish hours today) with this 2nd motor - using all of my mods since the very day the dealer installed new motor + mods for me Running mid 70s to low 80s for the entire 190hrs here in the desert heat.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    If you plan to keep the ski, buy a long block from BRP.

If you just want to flip the ski, toss in an SBT engine.... and sell it asap!

Just my 02

Quote Originally Posted by wsullivan View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I bought an 06 RXP with 200hrs this past weekend with the understanding it did not run. I got it home and checked the oil only to find a dry dipstick. I added 4-5 quarts of oil and it looks like every bit ended up in the hull. I'm assuming it is going to need a replacement(remanufactured) engine and I wanted some input. I was an automotive technician during college and feel that I can probably handle the install with the help of my friends.

My concerns are as follows:

1) Where should I get the motor? I like the idea of an SBT but I know some people are negative towards them.

2) Aside from the supercharger washers, are there any items I should change/repair while I have it apart?

Thank You,

Will
    Hey man, did you check to see where the oil was coming from? Possibly the pto bearing, oil cooler.........???? Did you check the filter for any type of evidence of shrapnel? Do some more checks before u scrap motor. Compression test?

That's pretty much the only reason I decided to spend the cake...My ski was only 80hrs old at the time and I had it since it was just 6hrs old. I knew it's history, and I knew I'd keep it "forever" (as long as the new motor would last) since I'm not just a fly-by-night owner/rider who dumps their ski after just 1 season. With all that in mind, I also thought "let the dealership handle it all...if it blows up, I have a place to bring it back to and point the finger."

+1
    I do need to do a more thorough inspection. I will probably go ahead and pull the motor before I make any big decisions. I was just curious if anyone had any ideas I missed.

You already have the 06 valves, so from what I understand you're good there.
    Check the motor mounts for tears etc.
    Check pump assembly - bitched up impeller blades and wear ring condition.
    Replace carbon seal and bellow boot (and associated hardware).
    Plenty of guys would install a high flow bilge pump while you're in there. These skis like to sink like rocks when simple shit goes bad/overlooked (such as carbon seal parts).
    Inspect condition of the steering cable up front where it links towards the steering assembly. My cable suddenly broke at roughly 200+ish hours (that could be ugly quick if it breaks at the wrong time). It's not the beefiest design, especially for 70-80+mph capable skis. WTF?!
    Definitely rebuild or replace the charger with the goodies and proper slip setting etc.

Is it a salt water ski? Driven a lot....sits a lot?

+1
    If the oil poured out into the hull, it could have thrown a rod thru the block, under the exhaust manifold. If so better pull the head to see what's salvageable.

+1
    Hope you got it dirt cheap! These engines are spendy to rebuild!

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	304374

Attached is the discovery that I made after removal. Not sure exactly what happened because supercharger is in good shape and one of the bolts and most of the cap on the connecting rod are still in place. Is. It a bad thing that the water box is full of water. Excuse my ignorance but I'm not exactly sure what purpose the water box serves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information