Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question help please! ultra 250 problem

Took my ultra 250 out the other day for test ride to make sure everything was ok from sitting through the winter. Everything seemed ok and ran perfect. Got home and got ready to change the oil and when I pulled the dipstick it was reading very low barely on the dipstick and it was milky. Did more looking around and found the same milky oil inside the intercooler and in the airbox. Great! So I read that the exhaust gaskets can leak and cause this so I replaced them. Changed the oil again ran it for about 5 minutes on the hose and changed it once more to get the milky oil out. Took it out to the lake again and after about 30 minutes to an hour of riding an alarm went off that said low oil pressure. Checked the oil and it was once again milky and barely on the stick. Wierd thing is it runs perfect. I read more where they are known for cracked heads but how would that cause oil in the airbox or intercooler? Ski has 130hrs on it. Please help I can't afford to take it to my dealer. Thank you.

+1
    where did you ever read exhaust gaskets cause milky oil? the oil gets in the airbox from the vent tube on the catchcan then the s/c sucks and pushes it through to the i/c. sounds like a cracked head but its not a job for someone that has no idea, best bet take it to a mate or dealer

I read about the exhaust gaskets on another forum. I race quads and build my own motors just never messed with something with a supercharger and intercooler so I wasn't sure. I also heard about oil cooler orings going bad? Thanks for the response.

+1
    could be oil cooler but really doubt it i went through 3 heads before kawasaki improved the design

With a cracked head, does this not allow the cooling water to enter the oil ways and thus also cause 'milky' but I would have thought the level on the dip stick would rise or you blow the bottom end out before you know it?
    You reported oil was low first time round with milky I/C etc... So maybe as nicjak said it is the normal catch can blowing back into air box route.
    Next time out you got a low oil pressure warning, again this would suggest you are loosing oil possible.

Of course your oil could be disserpearing into the cooling circuit with the water (cracked head) and if you haven't knocked the bottom end out count yourself lucky. Very unlikley to be a gasket exhaust/head, never heared of an O-ring issue?

Should I do a compression check or just start tearing it down? If I need a new head where is the cheapest place to get one?

+1
    you could try a leakdown test with the rocker cover off you may see a bubble you may not..you need to find your problem before speculating on parts required.

Quote Originally Posted by craig26rogers View Post
    Should I do a compression check or just start tearing it down? If I need a new head where is the cheapest place to get one?
    No cheap heads, all prices much of a much.
    compression test will do no harm and may result in finding root cause, it maywork out cheaper in the long game to take the ski to a reptible dealer to diagnose correctly, save you time and money possible wasted on wrong parts.

+1
    how is the compression test going to find the root cause?

Quote Originally Posted by kwakmat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craig26rogers View Post
    No cheap heads, all prices much of a much.
    compression test will do no harm and may result in finding root cause, it maywork out cheaper in the long game to take the ski to a reptible dealer to diagnose correctly, save you time and money possible wasted on wrong parts.

Banned User
    +1
    Where did the oil go ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information