What to look for? used 98 gp1200

hello everyone, im new to the site, but i have lurked the forums forever. I just spent 6 hours viewing 100s of threads...lol. I just have a couple quick questions. I'm looking to purchase a 98 gp1200, and i'm not exactly familiar with these skis. are there any common issues i should look for before buying? the ski has 200hrs, but the top end was done at some point. from what i can tell, its the non pv motor, and they seem to be rock solid. Is it true that year didn't come with a bilge pump? If anyone has any advice on these skis, i would love to hear it. Thanks.

thanks in advance,
    Tom

+1
    It should be the NON pv 65u engine, unless of course someones changed it.
    Pretty sure none of the gp1200s had bilge pumps, wish they did. ( 97-99 ) They do have vacuum bilge pumps, not electric.
    Check compression, for sure. Water test, if possible. Check out the hull, check the impeller, pump, etc. Make sure everything works as it supposed to.
    Search around here a bit, there are many threads with the same question and could def help! Goodluck!

+1
    They are great skis. Just check out the usually PWC stuff like CDW78 mentioned.

+1
    Specifically, I'd take a feeler gauge and check the impeller clearance with the wear ring and check for any signs of modification to the jet pump, intake grate, and ride plate. While these are great upgrades for these skis, if they're improperly installed they can easily make things worse. Also the 1200 is well powerful enough that a slow cruise may not reveal any problems with a cylinder not firing, etc., so if you can run it pretty hard and make sure you can hit top speed and hold it, etc. Finally, +1 on the compression check...sometimes a poorly done top end is worse than no top end rebuild at all!

Well we ended up buying it. It was listed as a 98, but ended up being a 97. I am a little bummed, because i have heard that the 97 hulls were weaker than the 98-99. This ski is minty clean, and i can't wait to take it out.

thanks for the advice...get ready for more questions.

tom

+1
    They are a bit weaker...but mine I haven't had any problems with mine. Good luck to you!

+1
    I've never been on the 98, but own the 99 and 97. The 97 hasnt given me any issues, hull related especially. I love it especially compared to the 99...... Good luck!

Check the oil lines. They are prone to cracking or coming off the carbs causing major damage. I would suggest replacing the oil lines and using oetiker type clamps to hold them tight. I read about this problem and went out to check mine and sure enough mine were cracked. I found a pool of oil on the hull. I caught it in time and nothing was ruined. Then I switched to premix.

Thread Information