1994 Waveraider 701, got going good, then quit turning left, and quit running right.

I know the two aren't related but here's what I've got: 94 Waveraider of unknown background. Ran crappy. Rebuilt carbs, had new wires put on coil, replaced plugs. Still ran crappy (seemed to be a fuel issue). Checked lines, eliminated petcock/selector. Still ran crappy. Ordered "low hour/ freshwater carbs" off of ebay in a fit of frustration. Low and behold, they were low hour, freshwater carbs. Bolted them on, adjust the idle and opened the low speed screws a hair and off I went. Ran GREAT, zoomed around the creek for 5 minutes and then found the marsh when she quit turning left all of the sudden. Decided that I was too happy to let that slow me down, and I began making 270deg right turns and kept riding. Starting running like we'd run it out of fuel (and that made sense because we didn't have much gas.) Went to the gas station, got 5 gallons, filled it up...gauge never moved off empty and the ski never ran any better. Choking it didn't seem to help and the only that did matter was if we let it sit for 30 minutes, started it, choked it and took off, it'd ride fine for 30 seconds, then fall back down. Any thoughts?

+1
    Check the compression

Haven't checked compression, but I had a leak in tbe hull that turned out to be a split in what looks like a big plastic nut where the steering cable exits the hull. It explains the leak, does it also explain the no left turn?

+1
    It could be that the cable was just sliding inside the nut and not actually moving the nozzle. As for the running crappy, I'd guess there was trash inside the fuel tank and when you ran it empty you have sucked it into the internal carb filters. Pull carbs, clean them out, re-install with a new inline fuel filter (screen type).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltH2OHokie View Post
    It explains the leak, does it also explain the no left turn?
    I agree, it could.

I ordered what I think is the correct part (s) to fix that, so when they get here next week I'll see.

I pulled the vent on the fuel tank, and after having not run the ski for 4 days, it still released enough pressure that it hissed for a good few seconds. Is that normal? The motor runs really strong when it's running right, and then it's like it just starves for fuel...on the hose it runs fine for as long as I want to run it.

+1
    fuel tank pressure is good. Vacuum is bad. So make sure it holds pressure but vents vacuum.
    It takes very little fuel, spark, or compression to run one of these on land, so that 'test' doesn't really load the engine enough to diagnose anything.

i have1994 waveraider at 3000rpm it sounds like rev limmiter ran great the first two times oh just got it

where is the rev limmiter hose on a 1994 yamaha wave raider?

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Rev limiter hose?? New one on me.

Terrry - might want to start a new thread if you're having issues with your Yamaha. I'm sure folks will chime in.

Thread Information