Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

JUST picked up 1999 SLX 1050

i bought the ski off craigslist with the guy saying it has fried electrical. The eletrical box was open with wires unplugged and everywhere!!! i started looking at my other ski, (SL900) and trying to figure out what goes where. Finally figured it out for the most part and got a battery in it. It turns over! It has great compression, but the spark doesnt seem to be constant? it sparks sometimes and doesnt spark most time. I hit it with some starting fluid and she fired. It ran REALLY rough but it was alive. Found out plug one and two were switched. Idles ok but when i rev it up it smokes horribly and spits and sputters and will die out unless i let off the throttle. I took the carbs off and cleaned, still no luck. The ski sat for 3 years before i got my hands on. DOes this sounds like an electrical issue or?? Stator? thanks so much!!

Banned User
    +1
    Sounds like the crankcase is loaded up with oil.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! Yup id agree with BryanP, i also have a 99 SLX and the crankcase would get fulllll of oil and give same symptoms, id start but smoke like a pig, and actually launch straight oil out of the exhaust, dripping down the trailer all over the driveway, was a mess, after a few starts and rev ups it got it cleaned out. then ran fine.

is there an easy way to get it out?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by duneriders13 View Post
    Run the engine. You could back it into the water strapped down to the trailer and run it for a few minutes, lightly revving the engine until it clears out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Run the engine. You could back it into the water strapped down to the trailer and run it for a few minutes, lightly revving the engine until it clears out.
    Hopefully there isn't enough oil to hydro lock a piston...

I ha e let the engine idle for probably 10 Minutes hook up to a hose. Every once and a while a like bubble of black crap would pop out the exhaust. Could that be the oil?

Banned User
    +1
    It will take more than idle speed to clear it out most likely. Does it run better now?

+1
    I ha e let the engine idle for probably 10 Minutes hook up to a hose. Every once and a while a like bubble of black crap would pop out the exhaust. Could that be the oil?
    that is most likely oil, how i cleared mine out was starting it up, revving it up, then shutting it down, waiting for it to cool, start it up, reeve it up, shut it down, and repeat. after about 10-15 times of this it was clear and ready to rock

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Ten minutes is a REALLY long time on the hose.

The engine does not get proper cooling when on the garden hose, so the front cylinders might overheat.

The bigger concern is the shaft seals in the through-hull bearing and the jet pump. These are water cooled when the hull is floating, but are running dry when on the garden hose. Normally the max run time for these seals is two minutes.

You should assume those seals are now close to failure or ready to leak. You can still ride and water test with leaking shaft seals, but for the jet pump that means the steel bearings inside will begin to rust. So plan to rebuild the jet pump sooner rather than later. When the bearings fail they can seize without warning or allow the impeller to wobble and do damage.

It is not unusual for black oily exhaust gunk to accumulate inside the water box. It will clear itself out when the engine is run hard under load out on the water. If you take it to the launch ramp and keep it strapped down to the trailer, you can back it well into the water then run the engine. That way the engine gets normal cooling and there is a load on the impeller. You can even apply throttle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information