Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water over front and directly onto battery/electronics?

Hi everyone. Long time viewer, first time poster. I recently acquired my first SeaDoo, 2005 RXT with 40 hrs on it. Had jerry do a full rebuild of the SC and pretty much did all the suggested maintenance except the exhaust valves, which is on the list for this winter.

Anyway, I had it out for the first time memorial day weekend and discovered it takes on quite a bit of water. I ride a little hard and tend to get a lot of water over the front of the ski, which is fine, but the grooves in the hood (picture 1) direct the water right up the front of the ski and over the glove box which dumps in the gap between the seat and the body(picture 2) directly onto my battery and electronics? Seems like a design flaw unless I'm missing a piece here. The gap between the seat and the body does seem a little large...

Any advice is appreciated. I had water about a half inch up the bottom of my battery before I noticed what was happening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	302271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	302273

Can anyone with a 2005 or 2006 RXT visually confirm the amount of clearance they have between the seat and hull up front compared to the second pic? Or if there's anything there that blocks the water from coming in below that?

+1
    The seat bottom should have a gasket that seals it to the hull. You may need to adjust the seat pin if the seal is not contacting the hull.there is also a vent right bellow the glove box that is more likely taking in the water Check your carbon seal and bellows, drain plugs and bailer tubes. Ride with the rear seat off for a while and see if water is comming in under normal riding conditions.

+1
    The gap is fine, it's not unusual to have water in the hull if you are nosing into the waves often (assuming there are no other issues like a bad carbon seal) I highly recommend a bilge pump (or 2)

5. +1 by:

+1
    do you have a front storage bucket? I didnt have one in my RXP when i first bought it (didnt know any better) and someone told me one day that i dont have one and needed it. Ever since i got it i no longer have issues with water getting into my hull.

FDRXT - I see the seal that you're talking about, and it appears to be aligned properly. Its tough to say whether or not its making contact because i can't see it while the seat is on, but I'd imagine i'd have better contact on it if I sat down. Since I generally find myself standing up, maybe I'll add a small piece of rubber around the front half to ensure good contact either way. The vent right below the glove box is definitely taking on water. I can see the vent goes to the front side of the seadoo, then left around the fuel tank but not sure where from there? Does that dump off into the hull? This happened on the first day so i rode it easier the rest of the weekend and had no water in the hull from then on, so i'm pretty positive this is the issue.

EB87 - good call, definitely going to go with a bilge pump sometime soon either way. I don't trust the factory bilge as mine clearly isnt as reliable as it needs to be.

Boost-a-holic - i do have a front storage bucket which holds my bumpers/ropes/life jackets and its got a plug in the bottom of it so i'm sure the water isnt getting into the hull from there.

+1
    That front vent dumps in above the fuel tank. Maybe try a piece of Frogzskin over that front vent to keep some of the water out.

I've never heard of the Frogzskin but thats a pretty solid idea. I'll give that and a 500 GPH bilge a shot. Thanks for the suggestions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cinciseadoo View Post
    I've never heard of the Frogzskin but thats a pretty solid idea. I'll give that and a 500 GPH bilge a shot. Thanks for the suggestions.
    maybe even check the rubber gasket/seal that the front box sits on top of you never know. And they got cheap bilge pumps in the marine section at Academy sports n outdoors. Dont know where your located but if your near one check em out.

I do get a small amount of water in the front box so i'll check those seals as well. I'm in cincinnati so the nearest academy sports n outdoors is about 300 miles away, but i do have a bass pro shop that'll likely have similar selection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information