Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1997 Wave Venture - Troubleshooting help please

Hi,
    I just bought a very clean 97 Wave Venture 1100 triple. It was way too nice and cheap to turn down - but it has an issue that I need some advice on.
    The following all took place last night during the deal at the PO's place, so it was pretty quick. I am looking for expert advice on what to check for and in what order now that I have the ski at home and can take my time.

The battery is strong and when the start button is pressed, the starter tries very hard to turn it over. Not just clicking, but real grunting etc. I only did this a few times.

I took out all 3 spark plugs, and pushed on the cylinders with a socket extension. I did get a little movement a couple times, but then it seemed to be locked.

I did not see any obvious issue with the impeller. It looks to have a gap around its perimeter etc.

The PO stated that it has about 180 hrs on it, but the dispaly won't boot up unless the engine turns over apparently. He also stated that the ski has run great since '02 when he bought it but that last fall it just stopped running while running at low speed on the water.

The ski is pretty much bone stock with oil injection - PO always ran yamahlube

Thanks in advance for your help - My wife and kids are pretty excited for me to get this running.

Well I just had a nice phone conversation with John Zigler at Rock County Jet Ski. I really hesitated to call him this time of year since I knew he would be swamped. I really needed some direction so I could do some diagnosis this evening. Anyway, he was very helpful and informative.
    His suggestion is to figure out whether or not the engine turns over by hand and then start pulling the motor if it is indeed seized.
    My plan is to take off the PTO cover and see if I can turn over the motor with the plugs out.

+1
    You need to make sure the engine will turn a complete rotation without locking up. if the starter is bad you will need to turn the PTO shaft with your hand. if the motor turns freely by hand the starter may need to be replaced. when you get it spinning freely with the starter do a compression test on the engine and post the numbers on this thread.

I pulled off the PTO cover and tried to turn it by hand. It wiggles a bit and the pistons move about a 1/4" or less. Visually, the pump looks fine...
    Well -I started the engine removal process - my first foray into this!

The goal for this Waveventure is to be a reliable family fun-cruiser for a few months a year (wisconsin). Reliabilty trumps performance. I would like to get many summers use from this motor.

The initial plan is to get a complete rebuild kit and have my cylinders machined locally.
    It just seems to be wiser to do this vs just doing a top-end since the motor will be out of the ski.
    But what if the crank and rods are good? Does it still pay in the long run to pay now and do a total rebuild?
    BTW - how do I go about determining if the crank and case etc. are good? Can this be done without splitting the case?
    Thoughts, comments, suggestions?? THANKS!!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    don't be surprised when you find that broken connecting rod

we hope you got it reallllly cheap.

I will let ya know if you are right about the conn rod!

I got this rig for $500 complete with nice trailer, perfect yamaha cover, and some AM parts (intake grate, flame arrestor, etc)
    The hull, upholstery, etc. is all extremely pristine for such an old boat. I knew the engine was likely blown when I bought it.

Now the rebuild begins...wish me luck!

+1
    When you find damage and not sure what to do next post pics on it and any damage there are lot of members that can tell a lot from a pic. Good luck with the build.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brywisco View Post
    I pulled off the PTO cover and tried to turn it by hand. It wiggles a bit and the pistons move about a 1/4" or less. Visually, the pump looks fine...
    Well -I started the engine removal process - my first foray into this!

The goal for this Waveventure is to be a reliable family fun-cruiser for a few months a year (wisconsin). Reliabilty trumps performance. I would like to get many summers use from this motor.

The initial plan is to get a complete rebuild kit and have my cylinders machined locally.
    It just seems to be wiser to do this vs just doing a top-end since the motor will be out of the ski.
    But what if the crank and rods are good? Does it still pay in the long run to pay now and do a total rebuild?
    BTW - how do I go about determining if the crank and case etc. are good? Can this be done without splitting the case?
    Thoughts, comments, suggestions?? THANKS!!!
    You're gonna want to split the case. Those crank seals are getting old and crusty and nows the time to replace them. Its a good idea to try to get the PTO coupler and flywheel off before taking the top end apart. Its just easier that way.

Well the carbs are off and 3 of the stinger to exh manifold bolts are out. I am not confident about getting those stinger bolts back in tho... Man my arms feel like they are way too big and inflexible! Any recommendations on pulling the cowling off to make this easier?? I removed to 4 cowling bolts and took a break. Not sure if I need to also remove the cables or if I can just prop up the cowling enough to reach the exh bolts.
    Thanks a million all....

+1
    Not sure on the cowl, but if you can get to the motor mounts and unbolt them, that'll let you slide the motor around for more access. There should be 4 mount, one on each corner of the engine. And ratcheting wrenches are a get tool that might help you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information