Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 RXP speedometer working intermittently

Hello to all,

I have a 04 RXP With around 235hours on it. I am the original owner and keep good care of it. There is nothing wrong with the ski other then the following… I am writing on here in hopes that someone else has experienced what I am going through now with my speedometer working intermittently. So to be clear here my speedometer will work fine then it will stop working while driving then it will start working again.

Recently my speedometer would not work when the ski was cold (1st started up and used it) then after it warmed up (got hot) it worked fine….

Okay TO BE CLEAR on what I have done to narrow it down…..

I checked all wires and performed the test from the manual about turning the speed paddle with multi meter hooked up to wires to get reading it passed that test. I have tried multi meter several times on the wires from the speed paddle all the way to the front of the ski…

I am not getting any trouble codes from the ECU so that checks out.

The Tach & Speedometer both go to MAX Positions then back to normal when the key is inserted just as they are supposed to…..

The Tachometer still works when the speedometer does not. When the speedometer won’t work it does not work analog or digital but the tachometer still works…. Go figure…..

I am at a loss here ready to give up…. Need some help from you guys on here I know there has to be someone else with a RXP OUT THERE that has experienced similar/same problems and perhaps could shed some light on my problem here to help me please….

I am thinking it is either a short in 1 of the wires that I must have missed or it is another unknown electrical problem.

Sorry If this is the wrong section I was not sure which section my post would fit in....

+1
    X2 mine does the same exact thing

Wow finally I knew it I knew there had to be the same/similar problems from the same or close to the same year ski...
    Okay will have to wait for the elders & goorus to chime in hopefully they will soon. They have helped me before on here & are the best 2nd to nobody in the region so hopefully they are still on here and can help us at least know what is the problem.....

+1
    BUMP

What dOes bump mean?

+1
    Puts it to the top of the page so more people see it. WE need answers lol

+1
    I replaced my speedo because the pin that the paddle wheel spins on had worn out the plastic housing. The paddle would sit crooked and get caught up sometimes. If that isn't the problem I would connect my meter to the speedo and run the ski while monitoring the meter. If it is the speedo unit you will get eratic reading if its the display your meter should read ok. Clean all your wire connectors, especially the one in the back. With the heat and water in the back of ski I could see it being corroded.

Oh cool good to know thanks letting me know.

Thanks that is some good info will try this.

Hello I actually have a semi new speed sensor I just don't want to install/put it on because I don't know how to get to it (in the back of the ski) & I don't like the way you have to take it off i.e. scraping the glue off the paint. I don't even know where to get the glue. I would like to leave the factory seal on. Besides I think something else is going on here like electrical issues in the wires. It remains to be seen I need to do more testing on it. I could pull/bend the wires while I do the multi meter test I have not done that yet. I also could clean the contact points on the connector in the back but I don't know what/how to clean it. Please advise me if you know. When I looked at the 2 connections they had grease on them and looked clean to me so I left them alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information