Need some help on an 01 virage TXI

I am the original owner of a 99 Genisis Ficht and a 01 Virage ficht. I saw a post about changing out the gray fuel lines so I was doing that today. On the virage the access to the fuel tank is up under the seat about 18" which was making it difficult to remove the fuel lines. One had a hose clamp and the other line had the oem clamp which in my zeal to get off I have broken the plastic fitting that it attaches to.

My question is-Is this going to require removing all the front plastic to access the replacement, and where can I get this plastic fitting?

I was just thinking how much easier the virage was to work on (at least in changing batteries) till this happened. What a pita!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, it is awkward to work under there.

You might be able to extract the plastic top piece that has the nipples (held in place with a rubber sealing ring), but there is an internal fuel pump hose attached to the bottom end of one nipple.

It has been a while since I worked on my own Virage fuel tank, but you might be able to release the tank straps, lift the oil tank up, and slide the fuel tank forward. That might give you some working room, but not a lot.

See my signature links and search for other threads on here about repairing these Ficht fuel pumps. You should be able to see how it all goes together.

It's clear I'm going to have to get to the fuel tank. At the Polaris dealer they don't list a seperate part for the plastic piece with the barbed fittings, just show the pump as a complete piece for $430. Holy frikken crap. I've broken that plastic piece and have to access the fuel pump via the top of the tank. How does one get there?

K447-

After reviewing another thread you shared info on regarding the pressure regulator...the piece I'm going to need is that plastic piece with the barbed fittings the regulator hose connects to. I will be sliding the fuel tank forward tomorrow. How does the fuel regulator disconnect from the plastic piece above? How does that piece come off/out? Where can I get one? What special things should I know to accomplish this? How the heck did you get that blue tabbed line to release when you need 2 hands to do it???? I have a feeling the swear jar is going to get filled AGAIN tomorrow.

NOW I know I should have just cut that dang line in half and spliced a piece in...this is getting expensive and time consuming, not to mention the trip to the chiropractor I'll be needing!!!

+1
    Look around on here for someone who has replaced their Ficht fuel pump (fuel injected Virage, Genesis, MSX 140 all the same fuel pump). You can re-use the plastic piece from an old pump.

If you can get the fuel pump entirely out, it will be easier to work on, obviously. The pressure regulator is not a concern, as it is just a stubby hose on the bottom of that fitting. It will come right out when you remove the plastic fitting.

The issue is the actual fuel supply hose, which is also attached to the bottom of the fitting AND is connected to the actual electric fuel pump motor down in the bottom of the pump. That hose is only a few inches longer than the pump itself internally, so you will not have much slack when you pull up on the plastic fitting. It has an Oetiker style ear clamp where the hose attaches. Those clamps are removed by cutting the old clamp off, then crimping a new clamp on.

There are automotive fuel pumps which have very similar hose nipple 'top piece'. Some old threads on here document how they mixed and matched parts to repair their own Polaris fuel pump. You may be able to find the part number of a suitable and less expensive new pump to steal parts from.

Working on watercraft, of any brand, involves strange body contortions and difficult to access parts. Just the nature of the beast. My own MSX 140 had an incorrectly positioned and loose hose clamp on the exhaust fitting right at the back of the hull. M447 had to get entirely inside the hull (engine was already out) to reach the hose clamp and properly reposition and tighten it. I could not fit myself into the hull and actually reach it.

Thank you! How exactly does the plastic top piece come out? Unscrew or what? I'm not looking forward to dealing with anymore oem crimped hose clamps in tight places. That's why I'm hoping I can just find the plastic piece and not have to pull it all apart...or is that possible?

+1

+1
    you can slide the tank far enough forward to pull the pump out. I'd work on it out of the ski. less likely to break more parts. you have to disconnect the fill hose, the fuel lines, wires and the bracket in front of the tank. sucking the gas out would make things easier as well

That's the plan. Luckily not much gas in there, but I aint suckin nothin...

Thread Information