Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

1100 Raider bogging on takeoff(Fixed) Engine Rebuilt and Running!

Hey guys, its been 3 years since I have been active on this site and a little over 1 year since my raider has even been in the water. Well I took my only night off this week from my second job to get it out to the nearest lake earlier this afternoon. Got it filled with fresh fuel and some seafoam and got it running at my friends house on the lake. Took it out and it ran pretty good for not being out for that long of time. It has been a really windy day so the lake wasnt the best for riding but it was my only chance this week to get it out on the water.

Now to the problem, it has a bog from idle when I give it gas to take off. I can feather the throttle and it will eventually go and run great. Until I stop for more then a second and take off again. Its worse the more it idles. I have had this problem since about 2010 where I was slowly riding less and less.

After reading alot the past two days since I have returned to this great site I have come to the conclusion that my pop off pressure is the first thing I should look at. I am 80% sure that the carbs havent been touched in terms of settings since I have owned it. Even more sure that I have never jetted it. The only time they have been off are when I pull the motor and replace a rear seal(happened over a winter back in 08ish?).

The following are the mods I have done to the ski, protec steering nozzle, ride plate of some brand I cant remember(dull grey powdercoated), a solas prop 13/19, a water box removed, and a primer kit installed with the choke plates removed.

Btw its great to see that alot of the people I remember are still here like flyingscot, big raider(mark), Mpeaver, ect. This was the first forum I ever belonged to and it brings good memories. I was 14 back in 2007 when I first joined. I am VERY sad to hear about Oside, he was the best when it came to carb help/work and will be missed. Its good to be back and I am ready to get this thing running even better for this summer!
    Last edited by raiderteen; 07-27-2013 at 02:11 PM.

+1
    I've been suffering from the same problem with my 1994 WaveRaider that I've owned since it was brand new. The bog off idle was pretty bad but like you, if I feathered it, the engine would "catch" and I could take off. Like you, the longer I idled, the worse the bog.

Anyway, last weekend I finally replaced the 19 yr old needles and seats in both carbs. Cleaned out both carbs real good with carb cleaner and compressed air but did not replace any of the soft parts. I only replaced the needles and seats.

Took the ski out for about 2 hours on Tuesday and the bog is much, much better. Still there some but now I can live with it. Perhaps if I had bought a couple of Mikuni rebuild kits and replaced all of the soft parts the bog might be gone completely.

On the other hand, I kinda sorta remember that the ski had a slight bog off extended idle even when it was new.

+1
    I will look into replacing the needles and seats then. I have always wanted/needed to rebuild the carbs but never got to it. When I do take them off and apart I will look into making a pop off tester, I have everything for it pretty much. Got the reg. from my paint gun I used to paint my car, and all the assorted fittings I have too. Maybe even the valve, haven't looked lately.

+1
    Might as well get the mikuni rebuild kits, too.

+1
    Hey guys, figured I would give a little update on this. I just pulled the carbs today to inspect them. When doing so I noticed that the nuts were really lose and one was missing(ended up finding it). Well I looked at the gasket and manifold and you could kindve tell it had been leaking and wasnt making a good seal.

Anyways, I went and checked the diaphrams and made sure the mixture screws were on the correct stock setting. I also confirmed that the carbs dont have the update kit installed. I already had one on the way that I ordered off of ebay.

Currently I have gold springs for the needle valve. I did a crude test of the pop off and they all repetitively popped around 75-80psi. I blew them out good and put everything back together and let it run on the trailer a bit. I will take it to the lake hopefully tomorrow weather permitting to test it out. The update kit should be here this week.

+1
    Just got back from the lake. Unfortunately it honestly seems like it runs worse then it did before. The bog is worse for sure, it takes more feathering of the throttle and almost seems like it takes off easier if I make a right turn while feathering the throttle. It also now seems to be cutting out at 3/4 to wot. If it cavitates some it like cuts out and then continues on and does that repetitively. Its a windy day so I didnt have a chance to find glass water to see if it does it all the at WOT.

So now I am back to the drawing boards. I am going to install the update kit once it comes in and give it another try and then go from there. Yesterday when I had the carbs off I set the mixture screws to 1 1/4 turn out for the lows and 7/8th turn out for the highs, I found that somewhere on here for 1100 stock specs.

+1
    geez, with the carb nuts loose or missing, I'd think for sure you found (most) of your problem. Sucks that that wasn't it.

+1
    The update kit will be here weds. I will get working on it hopefully sometime during this week and take it out to the lake for a test on Saturday. When I tear into it I will try to take a peak at the jets and see what size they are and if anything looks amiss. Im really hoping this is the fix.

+1
    Got a few questions now.

I just pulled the carbs off to further inspect them and get them ready for the kit tomorrow since I had the time tonight.
    Got them basically tore down with the jets out, needles/seats out, and the back covers off. Everything looked fine to me, nothing that stood out as a major problem really.

Except for one thing. And this is where I have my question. On the back covers of my carbs the return ports all have very little holes. Basically restrictiors. This is where I am confused. I was under the assumption that the carbs didnt have any kind of built in fuel restriction on the returns, unless the update was performed which replaces the front carbs back cover and it has a restrictior at the last return nipple before it goes to the tank. Is this an even newer fix that yamaha did? Do I need to drill the middle and rear out and install the new cover for the front when it comes in?

When I went to see if these were clogged the front one did seem to have something in it. I blew it out with the air compressor and it seems to be unclogged now. My internal filters were remarkably clean and didnt have nearly anything in them. The front one had just a tiny bit of stuff in the bottom, the middle and rear were empty.

Here are some bad quality pictures. But you can kindve see the little hole and get what im talking about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	null-4.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	303526

Name:	null-3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	303527

Name:	null-2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	303528

Name:	null-1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	303529

Name:	null.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	303530

+1
    All 3 carbs on my GP1200 had the restrictor return holes but not sure if its normal for a Raider 1100 since you have an external pump.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information