2004 Kawasaki Jet Ski STX-R 1200 Fuel usage

Hi all,

Just curious on a few fuel related questions on this ski

1) The reserve tank. How much fuel gets stored in here or rather how long can i cruise on the reserve if out of gas on the main? Does it display on the fuel gauge on the screen at all any info on the reserve tank?

2) Is it automaticly filled when im fueling up - ie does it syphon some off automatically for the reserve and have it ready when i switch it over to reserve?

3) How many hours should i roughly be getting out of a full tank? I know the ski is fuel hungry, but it seems to chew fuel very quick. Any riding advice in which i can cut down on fuel? My mate has a 4 stroke yamaha fx140. WHile i understand that they are different engines and sized tank, i seem to go through a full tank while he goes down 10% on the same ride.

Cheers guys

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    The reserve is just a longer fuel pickup.

You could use twice the fuel as your mate, depending how you ride. On the plus side, the STX-R will put a big smile on your face regardless of how much fuel you'll use.

You should get about 50 miles, maybe more, on a tank, from memory, but it depends how hard you ride it.

Cheers, Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    The reserve is just a longer fuel pickup.

You could use twice the fuel as your mate, depending how you ride. On the plus side, the STX-R will put a big smile on your face regardless of how much fuel you'll use.

You should get about 50 miles, maybe more, on a tank, from memory, but it depends how hard you ride it.

Cheers, Mal.
    So when you say the reserve is a longer fuel pickup... Is that sort of a less power/fuel usage mode?

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    No, the switch just diverts the fuel flow so it picks up the fuel from a longer pipe that reaches further into the tank.

+1
    Let me try to explain the fuel pickups for you. The normal "on" fuel pickup is a tube that extends down into the gas tank. It is purposely short, like say 3 inches off of the bottom. When the fuel level gets low, less than that 3 inches, the fuel pickup sucks air and the engine dies due to fuel starvation.

You then reach over to your fuel selector knob or switch and turn it to "reserve." The reserve fuel pickup tube is longer and goes pretty much all the way to the bottom of the tank to suck up all the remaining gas. Obviously you'll be heading somewhere to get some more fuel at that time.

Thread Information