Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stx15f won't start after low battery issue

Hello. I have a 2004 stx15f. That had a low battery yesterday. Jumped it with a jumper pack started right up had no problems other than after starting it at idle that battery warning light would come on until rpms were raised for a moment. Got it home to flush it and it started. Than died and wouldn't fire up again. Tried to jump start it off of the car, but all it did was crank. Possible battery is bad or just needs a good charging. Of I f'd something up. Any ideas?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the battery is bad.

your antics with the jumper pack could have easily damaged the electrical system

besides the giant spark/surge when you connect /disconnect, when you disconnect you ask the skis alternator to deal with a nearly dead battery..so suddenly it's putting out 125% of it's normal output to not only run the ski, but to charge a bad battery.

jumping off of a running car can damage the ignition

put a new battery in there and hope it's just that. check the charging voltage with a good meter while on the hose assuming yopu get an engine start..should be getting 13/14 volts

Fresh battery. Still wont start. Any chance I could've flooded the engine out somehow trying to get it started again? Any more troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. Worked on boats for fifteen years. My first ski. So I can trouble shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    the battery is bad.

your antics with the jumper pack could have easily damaged the electrical system

besides the giant spark/surge when you connect /disconnect, when you disconnect you ask the skis alternator to deal with a nearly dead battery..so suddenly it's putting out 125% of it's normal output to not only run the ski, but to charge a bad battery.

jumping off of a running car can damage the ignition

put a new battery in there and hope it's just that. check the charging voltage with a good meter while on the hose assuming yopu get an engine start..should be getting 13/14 volts

Are we talking stator. Coil pack fuel pump ?

+1
    you'll find all sorts of troubleshooting tips for injection in my sig links that will also apply to Kawasaki..plus numerous discussions here on various DI system issues. ( thanks to K447)

just to get you going.....

check for spark ( be cautious, the spark a DI puts out will make you lose your hair if you get in the way of it)

squirt a little premix into the jugs and see if you can get the engine to spin up for a second or two ( only if you have spark)

still no spark?..try unplugging each injector in turn and see if you can get some action.

top of the head guess is that you zapped the emm..but lets see if you've got spark for starters.

charging a dead battery can overheat the emm..and all of your eggs are in that basket.

Quick fox for the emm will run you about $650 or so.

would the emm be the same thing as the cdi box?

you'll find all sorts of troubleshooting tips for injection in my sig links that will also apply to Kawasaki..plus numerous discussions here on various DI system issues. ( thanks to K447)

just to get you going.....

check for spark ( be cautious, the spark a DI puts out will make you lose your hair if you get in the way of it)

squirt a little premix into the jugs and see if you can get the engine to spin up for a second or two ( only if you have spark)

still no spark?..try unplugging each injector in turn and see if you can get some action.

top of the head guess is that you zapped the emm..but lets see if you've got spark for starters.

charging a dead battery can overheat the emm..and all of your eggs are in that basket.

Quick fox for the emm will run you about $650 or so.

+1
    typical names....

EMM=engine management module (kawasaki/polaris/seadoo 4-tec)
    MPEM=multi-purpose electronic module(seadoo)
    Igniter (yamaha, tigershark, wetjet))

in the end it means the same thing=

Expensive to replace /repair when damaged

The "cdi box" is typical on two stroke carbed stroke kaws, polaris and yamahas and the pre 1996 seadoos ( when they put the digital key in things got expensive)

Stange..the electonic ignition system rarely went out on motorcycles when I was working in that area..even with antics like disconnecting the batteries with the engines running, jump starting, bone dry battery cells and all the rest.

You look sidewys at a pwc ignition box ( whatever you might want to call em in private is up to you) and they go blu-eee

Outboards are just as bad btw.

somedays I just miss the old style coil and points..easy to fix, and cheaper then lunch.

while crude by today's standard, back in the day my shop actually repalced an electronic ignition on a honda automatic motorcycle ( gawd I'm old) with a standrd points setup as THAT cdi blew up all on it's own..and @ $400 a pop, this one legged veteran of vietnam couldn't keep it on the road without some (brag mode on) ingenious and out of the box thinking by a couple of motorcycle mechanics out of Miami(brag mode off).

The service manager at the local honda dealer tried to hire us both as the vet had at least 4 boxes repalced in two years and he was dreading the next phone call, as he was all out of goodwill on that sale.

I'm a man of mechanical injection. My speciality was yanmar performance. Things were unbelievable. So. Not used to the emm or most of the other names. I've pce and ecu. I was looking for parts online. Couldn't find an emm. But found "control unit, electronic". Under fuel injection. Little black box by the battery and voltage regulator. Could that be the same thing? And are these repairable?

typical names....

EMM=engine management module (kawasaki/polaris/seadoo 4-tec)
    MPEM=multi-purpose electronic module(seadoo)
    Igniter (yamaha, tigershark, wetjet))

in the end it means the same thing=

Expensive to replace /repair when damaged

The "cdi box" is typical on two stroke carbed stroke kaws, polaris and yamahas and the pre 1996 seadoos ( when they put the digital key in things got expensive)

Stange..the electonic ignition system rarely went out on motorcycles when I was working in that area..even with antics like disconnecting the batteries with the engines running, jump starting, bone dry battery cells and all the rest.

You look sidewys at a pwc ignition box ( whatever you might want to call em in private is up to you) and they go blu-eee

Outboards are just as bad btw.

somedays I just miss the old style coil and points..easy to fix, and cheaper then lunch.

while crude by today's standard, back in the day my shop actually repalced an electronic ignition on a honda automatic motorcycle ( gawd I'm old) with a standrd points setup as THAT cdi blew up all on it's own..and @ $400 a pop, this one legged veteran of vietnam couldn't keep it on the road without some (brag mode on) ingenious and out of the box thinking by a couple of motorcycle mechanics out of Miami(brag mode off).

The service manager at the local honda dealer tried to hire us both as the vet had at least 4 boxes repalced in two years and he was dreading the next phone call, as he was all out of goodwill on that sale.

+1
    oh crap..that's a 15f..my bad..I've been in the world of direct inject here for the last couple of weeks.

did you get any spark?

might be the crank sensor decided to give up.

find a 15 f service manual and go thru the troubleshooting check list.

certainly check all the fuses.

could also be the main relay

the control unit for this ski is inexpensive compared to others..but you've got a bit of investigating to do before to lay out for one.

first question

got spark?

second question

fuel pump running?

Ok. Got spark. Not sure yet about fuel. After cranking I hear something start clicking. Single parent of a 5 year old and 2 year old. Trying to get this done. Donuts going slow.
    oh crap..that's a 15f..my bad..I've been in the world of direct inject here for the last couple of weeks.

did you get any spark?

might be the crank sensor decided to give up.

find a 15 f service manual and go thru the troubleshooting check list.

certainly check all the fuses.

could also be the main relay

the control unit for this ski is inexpensive compared to others..but you've got a bit of investigating to do before to lay out for one.

first question

got spark?

second question

fuel pump running?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information