Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another new guy..........

Hey Guys, Just wanted to introduce myself, and go ahead and let yall know Ill be asking a bunch of new guy questions. I stumbled on to a 1996 SLT 780 sitting in a customers barn Thursday and ended up buying it for $250.00 bucks. Only thing he said was wrong with it was that it didnt want to idle sometimes. I put fresh plugs and fresh gas in it this morning and it fired up and seems to run and idle fine. Havent had it in the water yet. But so far so good. The thing is super clean and only shows 28.6 hours on the clock.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have a look through my signature links.

These machines need some maintenance BEFORE you take it out for the first 'test ride'.

Yeah, Ive been reading everything i can find on here relating to the slt 780. This place is a wealth of info.

+1
    The 28.6 hours may or may not be accurate. Do your fuel system maintenance for sure...

So i went for a test run today and all seems good aside from my speedometer isnt reading anything. I searched in the links provided by K447 and it says the speed is read from a tube in the jet pump intake. Im new to jet skis and im not real sure what kind of tube to look for or how to go about fixing the problem. Any advice?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Search for pitot on here or in my links. There is a small plastic pitot fin under the hull in the intake tunnel.

Under the driveshaft on the inside of the hull there is a clear tube that runs from a small nipple on the fin up the the back of the display.

I reset my MFD and the speedo works now. Replaced all fuel lines even though they werent the gray ones Ive heard cause problems. Im planing on rebuilding the carbs just for peace of mind before the 4th of July weekend, just gave them a decent carb cleaner/compressed air going over until the parts come in. The Ski ran great. My daughters ran two tanks full of gas through with out a hiccup. The best I was able to get out of it with just a small ripple on the water, full tank of gas, and me (240#) was 46 MPH @ 6150 RPM. which from what Ive read is on par with how these things should perform. So far Im happy with my first ski, and the kids love it. Thanks for everybody that provided comments and info!

Banned User
    +1
    780s should turn 6500-6600 RPM. You are missing 400-500 RPM Should run right around 50 MPH or a little more. Have any pics of it to post?

Can I upload directly on here or do i have to host on Photobucket? I thought I read the Rev limiter Kicked in around 6200? Might have been something else i was reading about. So much info on here You can get a little punch drunk. Ill see what I can do about getting pics uploaded.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information