Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post 1999 Polaris SLH 700, no spark

Hey I'm really new to this as well and I see that this is a very old thread, but I thought I'd see if any one was still around to help.

I bought a 1999 Polaris slh 700 last summer, it had been stored indoors for six years and looked brand new inside and out. It ran great all summer then I stored it indoors for the winter, and now it has no spark.

Brand new battery with over 11 volts while cranking, red/purple wires have good voltage, brown wire coming from cdi has 7.5 volts while cranking.

Could anyone tell me what the next thing to check would be to determine why there is no spark?
    Last edited by K447; 06-01-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Seems like you have already found and followed some of the diagnostics. If you have not yet, do have a look through my signature links.

The primary suspect would be the ignition system itself. Does the engine have the original ignition system or the update kit installed?
    Last edited by K447; 06-02-2013 at 03:38 PM.

It has the original. I looked all over for an update kit and it turns out to be a discontinued part number. I found one on eBay but the guy wants 800 bucks for it so I just wanted to make sure that was definetely my only option before I bought it, or maybe you know where I could find a reasonably priced update kit. I would pay 400 no problem and just update it either way, but 800 is pretty steep.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Seems like you have already found and followed some of the diagnostics. If you have not yet, do have a look through my signature links.

The primary suspect would be the ignition system itself. Does the engine have the original ignition system or the update kit installed?
    Hey buddy, thanks a bunch for your help! You might have to bear with me a little as I'm just using my phone to look at this, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by signature links. I've clicked on your "avatar" I guess and looked around a bit, but not to savvy on this. Again I really appreciate any help you may provide!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadinalaska View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Hey buddy, thanks a bunch for your help! You might have to bear with me a little as I'm just using my phone to look at this, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by signature links. I've clicked on your "avatar" I guess and looked around a bit, but not to savvy on this. Again I really appreciate any help you may provide!
    Some of the stuff via my signature links requires a real computer, does not always display properly on mobile devices. Some stuff does, other stuff does not.

Hey guys I went ahead and bought the ignition update kit. Installed everything (stator, cdi, ignition coil, new cover) it cranked right up and began to run and immediately lost all power. Reset pin on the electrical box popped out so I reset it and it regained power. Attempted to start it again and it did the exact same thing. Checked all wire connections and to the best I can tell everything looks like its going to the right place. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm sure it has something to do with grounding. I thought I read somewhere that part of the update was to delete the small ground wire that connects to the battery????

The wiring diagram shows the black wire from the stator connects to the black wire from the cdi. If that's the case why do they have eye loops instead of plug ins? Do they attach to the ground on the terminal block or the post by the starter relay? I had them hooked together with the black wires near the starter relay, which has a wire jumpered over to the terminal board grounding strip.

I've double and triple check everything and every time I hook the battery up now it immediately trips the electrical system.

Unplugged the wiring harness to the stator and was able to reset electrical system. Plugged it back in and it tripped again. Took the flywheel cover back off and I can see where the teeth might have rubbed the wires. Kind of thought that might happen when I was putting it together but I tried to push them out of the way as best I could. Still tearing more to come.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information