May be giving up! NO SPARK!do the coils ever go bad? can they be replaced without cut

I have followed every diag, every step, replaced the stator and eliminated the lr module. As per your advise k447 I checked for a grounded blk/yellow wire, its ok. Did the lr module elimination. Swapped batteries. checked resistence through plug wire to ground. ohmed out lanyard switch. I've stared at the wiring diagram till i'm cross eyed. Do the coils go bad? can the be removed with out cutting the plug wires?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Which model and year watercraft is this?

01 Genesis w/1200 carb, we had a discussion couple weeks ago, i have a second mach that i have been swapping parts between. have swapped the cdi, lr module and replaced the stator. when machine died the bilge pump had fallen apart, don't think its relative but swapped pumps for lr test

+1
    Forgive me if I don't remember the details for every watercraft that is discussed on here

Remove and clean the engine end of the black battery cable. Also remove and clean the heavy red cable at the start solenoid, and the thin red wire on the same post.

Check the ohms between the electrical box black terminals and the engine casing, with battery disconnected. Should be well under 1.0 ohms.
    Last edited by K447; 06-09-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks. I'm just gettin desperate with the weather gettin better. I' ll go out and attack all the terminals with a wire brush an dilectric grease. As long as the resistance between the spark plug end of the ign wire through the coil to ground is within spec i should assume the coil is ok? If the cable cleanin doesn't work I may try swappin coils, don't know what else to do.

+1
    Even with batteries swapped, you still need to confirm that battery voltage is well above 10.6 volts while cranking.

Ignition coils rarely go bad on these engines. It happens, but is not very common.

Bad grounds, broken wires, incorrectly connected wiring, that sort of thing is quite common.

Weak batteries are VERY common, and will cause no spark.

I WIN!

Hey 447! After checkin all my connections and grounds I finally did swap coils. while doin that I checked all the ohm readings and by chance tested black/white to ground and instead of infiniti i had continuity! swapped coils and it starts! Thanks for your help and guidance! Never thought I would EVER have this much expierience workin on these things!

Thread Information