Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 hours on new ski and it's going to the dealer!

I have put 2 hours on my new RTX-X aS 260 and the ski seemed to perform as intended. I was going maybe 10-20 MPH sight seeing and decided to speed up and head towards homes. The ski sounded abnormal..I'm hearing impaired so that's the best I can describe it. Engine rpm picked way up but ski did not accelerate. I'm guessing the driveline is slipping somewhere or there is a sudden case of big time cavitation. There is minimal water in the hull and the intake grate is clear. There was no indication of a problem developing...it went from fine to not so fine in an instant. Now for the hassle of getting the ski to the trailer and back to the dealer.

+1
    Did it vibrate too? Shine a light up thru the grate and look back towards the impeller...you might have something like a stick stuck between the impeller and wear ring.

It was very winding and few boats were out, so I did not do much to diagnosis the problem and concentrated on getting about 2 miles back to the dock. BUT, best I can remember, yes there was some vibration and an abnormal noise. I removed an insignificant strand of weed hanging from the intake grate once the ski was up on the lift, and saw a nice shinny drive shaft!

It will be 3 hours round trip to get from my house to the dock, a 3 mile trip on water from the dock to the trailer, and a 2 hour round trip from my house to the dealer. If these can be solved at the dock I'd be delighted! I will definitely take your suggestion and take a closer look with a flashlight in hand. Thank you for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by RobKman View Post
    Did it vibrate too? Shine a light up thru the grate and look back towards the impeller...you might have something like a stick stuck between the impeller and wear ring.

+1
    You probably sucked some weeds thru it.
    Did it continue to not accelerate??

When you pull weeds thru it it will rev up and bearly move.
    No need for a stealership run if its not doing it now.
    Check inside the intake area to the rear and look at the impeller inside to see if maybe fishing line or something is wrapped up.

5. +1 by:

I tried to accelerate 2 or 3 times without success. Given the windy conditions I then focused on getting back on the lift. Forward/Neutral/Reverse at idle worked fine. I will thoroughly check out the pump intake and outlet with a flashlight when I return to the ski in several days. From the replies to my post, it sound very likely I sucked out weeds, or whatever, and a little cleaning my solve my problem pronto. Resultant cavitation would easily describe what I was experiencing. THANKYOU for the posts folks...I will update with results.

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    You probably sucked some weeds thru it.
    Did it continue to not accelerate??

When you pull weeds thru it it will rev up and bearly move.
    No need for a stealership run if its not doing it now.
    Check inside the intake area to the rear and look at the impeller inside to see if maybe fishing line or something is wrapped up.

+1
    Did you shut it off and recrank when you were out? If not I would put back in water and see if its still there.

+1
    Defiantly debris in the pump, could have fell out when you lifted it out of the water. Idk if this an approved method, often I can't get the debris out with a restart, so I get going in reverse pretty quick to where it will coast backwards with no power and shut off the engine the ibr goes to neutral and flushes the pump backwards clearing anything out. I have been 99% successful with this. Only time it didn't work I had a trash bag wrapped around the drive shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by IBADTON View Post
    Did you shut it off and recrank when you were out? If not I would put back in water and see if its still there.
    I did not shut down and restart. I definitely will try this . Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by swimjet29 View Post
    Defiantly debris in the pump, could have fell out when you lifted it out of the water. Idk if this an approved method, often I can't get the debris out with a restart, so I get going in reverse pretty quick to where it will coast backwards with no power and shut off the engine the ibr goes to neutral and flushes the pump backwards clearing anything out. I have been 99% successful with this. Only time it didn't work I had a trash bag wrapped around the drive shaft.
    You folks have be optimistic that foreign material is the sole cause of my problem and clearing it out, if it hasn't already done so by itself, will be the solution. I'll know more this weekend.

This same thing happened to me this weekend with my 150 Speedster. Engine would rev up make a grinding noise and barely move. I new immediately that something was stuck in the intake grate or impeller. I was at the marina when it happened so asked them to pull it out on one of there trailers. once it was out I got under it shone a flashlight through the intake grate and saw a 1 inch stick wedged between two of the impeller blades. I then got a long ratchet and pushed it out, but it then fell in behind the impeller. So I went around the back of the boat and shone the light through the nozel towards the impeller and saw it just sitting there. Got a coat hanger and pulled it out. Now works fine. I bet that your issue is similar and something is stuck in there.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information