Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Help With 2012 FX SHO Upgrades?

All right guys, I have 20 hours on my ski and want to due a few basic upgrades and nothing to void the Yamaha Extended warranty I have on my ski. I am mostly a cruiser between 30 to 45 MPH, and every once in a while a wide open run for a few seconds. I want to due ribbon delete and intake, intake grate, and pump plug kit. I have a few basic questions and I know you guys will be able to help me out!!!!

1. With the Riva Power Filter Kit, this is a direct bolt on and will not require anything else if I do the ribbon delete? No other tubes or adapters required?

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2025

Any threads on here with step by step instructions and pictures?

2. With the R&D Intake Grate and Pump Plug Kit, do you also have to due the hull reinforcement as mentioned on other threads?

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1337

I know that on my 2000 xl1200 the intake grate and pump plug kit was the best mod i ever did. The difference before & after was amazing. I am hoping with similar results on my 2012 FX Cruiser SHO.
    Last edited by mjealey; 06-02-2013 at 08:38 PM.

+1
    The Riva Power Filter Kit is a direct install, check Riva's website for instructions, pretty simle install. The Ribbon delete is a little more involved, requires removing the intake manifold (easier if you do) but still straight forward install. I wouldn't worry about the hull reinforcement for your level of mods you're planning. While you're under the ski, go ahead and do a ride plate as well.

+1
    Okay, the Riva Manifold Upgrade kit is still required to get rid of the ribbon even if you buy the Riva power filter kit?

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=904

I guess I am a little confused as to where the ribbon exactly is, but I will look at parts diagram and it will make more sense to me I think.

+1
    Need to pickup a tach with the order and be prepared to re-pitch the prop once installed. Make a trip here to Nashville for a ride your just a couple hours east.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post
    Need to pickup a tach with the order and be prepared to re-pitch the prop once installed. Make a trip here to Nashville for a ride your just a couple hours east.
    So just a little ribbon delete and intake and I will be up on the rev limiter and need a repitch of the prop? I do not want to due too much to hurt the warranty or anything. Not sure I want to mess around buying a new prop or anything. I would love to come to Nashville! By far one of the most fun places on earth! We go over there 3 to 4 times a year. I will have to bring the ski next time. I rode 80 miles on Norris Saturday. We spend 80% of our time on Tellico and love it down there!

+1
    The Riva Intake Manifold Upgrade (Ribbon Delete) is removing the air restriction (spark arrestor) from your manifold. It sits between your throttle body and intake manifold. It will put you on the Rev Limiter if you take it out due to the extra air flow. You will need to repitch or replace your impeller to remedy this. By just doing the Riva Power Filter Kit and not pulling the Ribbon you won't be on the limiter, but it's kind of a waste of time to add the filter kit and not pull the ribbon. This is what the ribbon looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHO Intake.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	302744  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    The Riva Intake Manifold Upgrade (Ribbon Delete) is removing the air restriction (spark arrestor) from your manifold. It sits between your throttle body and intake manifold. It will put you on the Rev Limiter if you take it out due to the extra air flow. You will need to repitch or replace your impeller to remedy this. By just doing the Riva Power Filter Kit and not pulling the Ribbon you won't be on the limiter, but it's kind of a waste of time to add the filter kit and not pull the ribbon. This is what the ribbon looks like.
    Okay, will changing the pitch on the prop effect the warranty at all? I would think not, but you never know. With only the ribbon delete and Riva intake as the only mods, what would be the proper pitch to go to on the prop?

+1
    Get with Jim from Jim's Performance on here, he's the go to guy for all your prop repitching and other ski needs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post
    So just a little ribbon delete and intake and I will be up on the rev limiter and need a repitch of the prop? I do not want to due too much to hurt the warranty or anything. Not sure I want to mess around buying a new prop or anything. I would love to come to Nashville! By far one of the most fun places on earth! We go over there 3 to 4 times a year. I will have to bring the ski next time. I rode 80 miles on Norris Saturday. We spend 80% of our time on Tellico and love it down there!
    I'm fairly certian it will put you on the limiter. Thats why I suggested the tach and to be prepared to re-pitch the stock prop. I doubt the dealer and/or Yamaha will voild your warranty for an air filter and CFM kit.

Pulling the prop isnt as bad as doing the ribbon delete. You will need a 27mm wrench and a shaft holding tool. You can send the prop off to a number of places to be re-pitched. Jim is good and will likley have a fast turn around. Most likely 1 or 2 degrees will get you where you need to be.

just to add to this thread, because im in the same situation. Would pulling the ribbon and not doing air filter still put us on the limiter? Or is it not advisable to just pull ribbon if we don't plan on changing air filter?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information